Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION >

DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION

Old 10-30-2003, 09:42 AM

Default DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION

if you are useing any kind of reflective markers to find your stand then let me tell you what i overheard some kids talking about.

they ride around at night and use a spotlight to shine in the woods, if they see any refection at all, the markers take them right to the deer stand, feeder you name it.

food for thought
Old 10-30-2003, 11:35 AM

Default RE: DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION

I have found a lot of stands riding my ATV around in the woods at night. They are very easy to find. I don' t take any of them. Nothing pisses me off more than guys taking stands.

But what other way of marking stand locations is there? sticks?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Compass and map, GPS, memory.....etc....
Old 10-30-2003, 11:45 AM

I have gone as far as chain and lock to keep my stand in public hunting lands. Once the thief actually brought a pair of bolt cutters into the woods and got my summit stand. Man I hate a blasted thief.

Another method is if you use screw in steps, to take out the lower ones as far as you can reach up, stick twigs in the holes so they' re easier to find in the dark, and hide the steps close by.

But let' s face it, if they want the dang thing bad enough, they' re probably gonna get it. Just don' t make it easy for them.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:47 AM

Turn the scums in to the authorities[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 10-30-2003, 11:47 AM

I' ve seen some guys use a hatchet on trees [>:] [] [>:]

I have also seen trail tape on every other tree along a path in to stands.

Toilet paper works well for marking a trail until you get a rain or snow. I have used TP in the past when tracking.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:01 PM

i used bread crumbs one time, never did find my stand!!!!!!!

i use surveyors tape and not much of it. its harder to see but also its harder for the thiefs to see. i have used my gps, but decided i don' t need another piece of gear to carry.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Spike

Sounds like you should bust these punks. Go get some really good reflective tacks, and set the tree stand up, probably on a Friday night would be best... put the tacks where they are easily seen from the road. Use lots of them so they don' t get lost. If you have a camcorder with nightshot, so much the better - you can video them. Then sit there in the bushes wearing your warmest camo and wait.

Let them come in and video them, let them almost get the stand down and confront them while getting a good look at their faces... If you yell loud enough right away, they might even mess their pants! To make it even better, also have a buddy hiding near the road and video the car license plate and the people in the car too. [>:]

BUSTED!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

I bough a bunch of removable treesteps so the theifs can' t climb up to my stands. I also have cabled and locked them to the tree this year. So far so good.

If that doesn' t work I' m going to dig a moat around my stand and fill it with crocodiles and piranhas.

Quick Reply: DEER STAND THEFT PREVENTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.