Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks are gone

Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Spike

Default Bucks are gone

So the bucks that have been around have not come back is there anything I can do to get them to come back or how different of a path change is common???
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Changing food choices can really throw off their travel patterns. Have you considered food plots or mineral licks?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Changing food choices can really throw off their travel patterns. Have you considered food plots or mineral licks?
I just started a food plot and already had a mineral lick
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

As long as you maintain your plot and mineral lick, they'll be back. I know it sucks when they seemingly vanish for weeks on end, but I've found that they'll typically come back after a while, especially if you're still retaining does.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Bartender

How much time are you going in and out of these areas? If your checking cams also you are spending way to much time in there.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by peakrut
How much time are you going in and out of these areas? If your checking cams also you are spending way to much time in there.
Once every 3weeks
Old 08-20-2017, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is not uncommon for buck (deer in general) to change their travel patterns come late summer. Also their need for using a mineral lick also decreases as does have stopped lactating and buck have just about stopped their antler growth and too have their natural food sources changed.
If you had bucks in the area they will come back most likely during the prerut or rut to check out the does that were/are in the area.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food plots aren't everything, one reason I keep hedges and plots of tall weeds or forage going. Doe favor tall, thick easy to penetrate cover, especially when the fawns are young.

If Doe go into Estrus it will draw Bucks in from miles, they have really good noses. A horny Doe bleat can be heard for a long ways at night.

I keep my Doe numbers up, keep the landscape favorable for Doe and during the breeding season draw in most of my neighbors Bucks.

My lease is in an odd place, a lot of farming around, forage isn't often an issue.

Most Deer favor hedges along the border of a wood line, Tall forage crops like Corn, Topinambur, Sweet Sorghum or even Sun Flowers work well also. I plant in long 10 yard wide stripes, no large plots.

They favor spots with a good open view from cover and a back way out, most of the year. And thick fairly tall weed (or crop) plots when they have young fawns. If there is a lot of forage around offer them something else, like ideal Deer beding areas.