Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 07-26-2017, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default Broadheads

Its that time of year again. Anyone thinking of trying anything new?

I'm pondering going back to fixed blades but I am intrigued by the Rage Trypan and Hypodermics. I'm not shooting a extremely fast set up compared to most but I am still up there. Pulling 61lbs on an Elite E32. With GT Hunter XT arrows and 28" draw. Pretty sure with the average shot of 20 yrds I can get fixed heads to hit the mark but worried about the longer shot. I don't have the equipment needed at the house get the set up tuned perfectly for my liking with most fixed heads. Heck I really have no reason to change but seems like that itch always creeps up this time of year
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are having flight problems try an offset fixed head...Muzzy trocar, NAP thunderhead razor etc. or a compact 4 blade like Slick trick.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

I was looking at the thunderheads. Also been checking out the reviews on the Dirt nap but I am wanting to have blades that can be replaced instead of sharpening. Seems that if having to sharpen them a little weight would come off each time and make each arrow fly a bit different. I have never used them though so I can't vouch for that statement lol. I really liked the regular rages but I have yet to be able to reuse a head. The dang this is trashed after going thru a deer. The Xecutioners work great on turkeys but I haven't slung one through a deer yet and I really don't like the idea of the o-ring system. I've used the 3 blade muzzy before but the first shot I ever had at a deer was at 40 yrds and I hit the shoulder blade. The damn muzzy bounced right off and I haven't used them since. Sure it wasn't the best shot but I would have thought it should have gotten a little penetration. Ended up taking my first deer with a bow the next day with the mx3 muzzy at 20 yrds right behind the shoulder and still only got about 8" of arrow in him. Granted this was an old Reflex Highlander bow at 63 lbs.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
I was looking at the thunderheads. Also been checking out the reviews on the Dirt nap but I am wanting to have blades that can be replaced instead of sharpening. Seems that if having to sharpen them a little weight would come off each time and make each arrow fly a bit different. I have never used them though so I can't vouch for that statement lol. I really liked the regular rages but I have yet to be able to reuse a head. The dang this is trashed after going thru a deer. The Xecutioners work great on turkeys but I haven't slung one through a deer yet and I really don't like the idea of the o-ring system. I've used the 3 blade muzzy before but the first shot I ever had at a deer was at 40 yrds and I hit the shoulder blade. The damn muzzy bounced right off and I haven't used them since. Sure it wasn't the best shot but I would have thought it should have gotten a little penetration. Ended up taking my first deer with a bow the next day with the mx3 muzzy at 20 yrds right behind the shoulder and still only got about 8" of arrow in him. Granted this was an old Reflex Highlander bow at 63 lbs.
The thunderhead razors are different than regular thunderheads. The blades are held on by little screws and the Muzzy trocars are also held in by screws and they are one piece solid steel rather than the (I believe) aluminum most muzzys are made of with the screw on tips. Both heads fly great, penetrate really well , and do plenty of damage.

The one downside is the offset blades destroy targets and are very hard to pull out.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sticking w/ my tried and true NAP Spitfire Maxx
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm checking out the Ramcats fixed and the Bloodsport Night Fury expans 125 grains
Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Kellyquinn, my old Hoyt Raptor is by far not the fastest bow at only right around 290fps it's kinda slow compared to todays bows. But with both the Slick Trick Standard and the G5 Montech, I have yet to fail to pass through a whitetail or elk out to 40 yards. I even passed through one buck that was quartered away a little bit and I hit it at 32 yards a good bit forward almost centering the shoulder on impact. Blew through the shoulder and down through the sternum and buried about 6 inches into the dirt. That was with a Slick Trick Standard model. And I have absolutely no issues tuning either of them for out to 50 yards. They fly right dead on with my field tips. Because of the pretty steep angle of the trick blades, they punch a nice hole on both entry and exit too. The G5's also perform very well but I have always had to hone them a bit out of the box. They were sharp but not as sharp as they could be. A few licks on the extra fine hone stone and then a little leather stropping and they will shave a frogs butt.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default Magnus

Stingers fly like field tips and have great cutting diameter. Lots of luck with them but not much talk about them.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Kellyquinn, my old Hoyt Raptor is by far not the fastest bow at only right around 290fps it's kinda slow compared to todays bows. But with both the Slick Trick Standard and the G5 Montech, I have yet to fail to pass through a whitetail or elk out to 40 yards. I even passed through one buck that was quartered away a little bit and I hit it at 32 yards a good bit forward almost centering the shoulder on impact. Blew through the shoulder and down through the sternum and buried about 6 inches into the dirt. That was with a Slick Trick Standard model. And I have absolutely no issues tuning either of them for out to 50 yards. They fly right dead on with my field tips. Because of the pretty steep angle of the trick blades, they punch a nice hole on both entry and exit too. The G5's also perform very well but I have always had to hone them a bit out of the box. They were sharp but not as sharp as they could be. A few licks on the extra fine hone stone and then a little leather stropping and they will shave a frogs butt.
The montecs are like that by design. The factory edge is steep and designed to be tough. Theoretically designed to be sharper after getting through the hide and bone and in to the goodies than they would be with a thin razor edge..I personally think they are a great broadhead but not one of the better whitetail options. A better choice for larger game IMO.

Ive shot one whitetail with a montec...zipped right through both lungs and kept right on going. Deer went 50 yards and piled up but no blood at all. Was a tough search through very thick cover with no blood. Obviously 1 deer is not a fair test but there was just no reason for me to give them a 2nd chance.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I've taken 12 whitetail and 6 elk with the G5 rockport. Never once failed to leave a good blood trail though I'll admit I've seen better on some of them and others it looked like a kill room. I don't know how many whitetail, elk, and moose the old man took with them. He started using them about a year before they were even available as a tester. Got me using them about a year later. Deb primarily uses Tricks. She's one of those archers that doesn't pick a kill zone, she picks a hair. And usually splits it. Dang girl is amazing with a bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.