Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads

Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I've taken 12 whitetail and 6 elk with the G5 rockport. Never once failed to leave a good blood trail though I'll admit I've seen better on some of them and others it looked like a kill room. I don't know how many whitetail, elk, and moose the old man took with them. He started using them about a year before they were even available as a tester. Got me using them about a year later. Deb primarily uses Tricks. She's one of those archers that doesn't pick a kill zone, she picks a hair. And usually splits it. Dang girl is amazing with a bow.
I would say my one deer was dead/down before the cavity filled to the hole. Mine was also a factory edge which is probably not ideal for whitetail

Your dad definitely liked the montecs and slick tricks. I about had him sold on trying an offset head.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

He was never afraid to try something new. He tested a lot of broadheads over the years. He even went through an expandable stage but that didn't last very long. One of his favorite sayings about a broadhead was, "pretty much any broadhead will kill a deer when it is placed perfectly through both lungs. Even a field tip will kill. The true test of a broadhead is when you make that not so perfect shot and clip the shoulder or back in the deer a little bit and still pass through and leave a good blood trail." The second part of that, most of those big expandable blade brodheads will do the job, the first part, not so much.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
He was never afraid to try something new. He tested a lot of broadheads over the years. He even went through an expandable stage but that didn't last very long. One of his favorite sayings about a broadhead was, "pretty much any broadhead will kill a deer when it is placed perfectly through both lungs. Even a field tip will kill. The true test of a broadhead is when you make that not so perfect shot and clip the shoulder or back in the deer a little bit and still pass through and leave a good blood trail." The second part of that, most of those big expandable blade brodheads will do the job, the first part, not so much.
Yeah I hate expandables.

I like to assume I'm going to hit the animal in the vitals and lack of penetration is the only problem I'll have if I do that. If I'm hitting deer in the guts thats my problem not the broadhead.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckscamp
Stingers fly like field tips and have great cutting diameter. Lots of luck with them but not much talk about them.
Stingers are a great head. They are the best flying BH I ever used. they don't leave a good bloodtrail tho. I'm going to give the Ramcats a try this year. I shot a 8pt last year with a 125gr Stinger and had a hard time finding it, a liver shot. Not much blood at all.

HJ
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

man the Ramcat Diamondback sure looks a lot like the muzzy trocar.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
man the Ramcat Diamondback sure looks a lot like the muzzy trocar.
yes they do. I think they are single bevel ???? I'm messing with the regular 125gr ramcats 1.5 cut. they look nasty and they fly nice. I gotta see what they do on a critter.

HJ
Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
yes they do. I think they are single bevel ???? I'm messing with the regular 125gr ramcats 1.5 cut. they look nasty and they fly nice. I gotta see what they do on a critter.

HJ
Looks like they are single bevel. Ive never tried one but the ramcats look like a great design to me. I bet they work great.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'm one that once I find something and try it and it works I stay with it sure there is always room for improvement but it takes something more than new for me to change up
Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using Rage heads mostly for a few years now, and have had good results. I, too, was for years a fixed blade only kind of guy. Finally tried some rages, and was pleasantly surprised. I have also tried, and liked the Dead Ringer Trauma...a whole lot of blade, and I experienced good penetration on the two does that I killed with them. I plan to continue using Rages...they've penetrated plenty for me, produced really good blood trails, and have done nothing but impress.

I am by no means saying that I don't think fixed blades are good...they are really good heads, and they perform fantastically when tuned correctly. But, I have had no reason to go back after the experiences that I have had with the mechanical heads that I have used.

Also, after this eclipse coming through Tennessee today, I should have the odds in my favor with all of the blind deer that have been staring at the sun all afternoon...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy 3 blade (100 gr.) here, the chisel point gets it done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.