Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow hunting sight help >

Bow hunting sight help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunting sight help

Old 05-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default Bow hunting sight help

So, I planing to upgrade my 3 pin apex sight, it came with the bow package. New to archery, but I am practicing and getting more consistent. I have no problem with the 3 pin sight, I want something with brighter visibility. I am leaning toward getting another 3 pin sight for now, looking to drop around $100. However, I was wondering in hunting situations if you have any experience with single pin vertical sights, and is that a route i should look further into, or are veritcal single pin sights more suitable for experienced bow hunters. Either way if you had any recomendations on a product it would be great.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I archery hunted I painted the tips of my pins with a bright fluorscent pink paint. I could see them in all conditions.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Spike

Thats a good idea, maybe its a bit of fatigue when i am at the range but it seems that I lose my top pin at times and it takes me a sec to get back on it.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your cheapest bet would be to do what OT does. Paint works pretty well in this matter.

For your question I would only recommend a Single pin sight if you are experienced and consistent with your shooting. Form and consistently repeating your shots is ideal for bow hunting. If you go with a single pin you are either going to be required to get some HHA EZ tape which will help with multiple ranges or really learn your bow and how it shoots to make offhand adjustments.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My $0.02 is to keep using your 3-pin. Are you willing to shoot game at various distances? If so, then multiple pins are advantageous. So long as you can quickly reference which pin is associated with a certain distance, you no longer have to think aim high or aim low. Nor do you have to adjust a single pin, movable sight while the quarry is approaching. No bow shoots a flat trajectory arrow. So, no single pin will suffice for various distances unless you adjust your aim or move the pin.

My personal setup is a five pin, fiber optic sight set at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. I occasionally shoot 3-D so longer shots are needed. I limit my bowhunting shots to 25 - 30. Splitting the 20 and 30 on the deer is a quick, slam dunk, 25 yard shot.

I want a very bright, fiber optic with small diameter pins. That way the pin placement on the animal is easier. A large pin tends to cover the vitals at a close distance.

You may have to drop a little more than $100. I went with IQ. Lifetime guarantee. Go to bow shops, cabelas, gander, BPS, etc. and compare them side by side for brightness and light gathering capability.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

One thing not mentioned is your bow's speed. rogerstv made the point of no bow being perfectly flat but at bow hunting ranges out to 40 yards, most of todays bows could be easily shot using a single pin. With rogerstv's pin setup, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between the pins on my old mans or my sisters newer Bowtechs from 10 to 40 yards. They would all be right on top of each other. He used 2 pins and my sister uses a single. I myself still have and use an old Hoyt Raptor with a 3 pin setup with differently colored fiber optic pins. An old spot hog site. I just inherited dads new Bowtech Experience and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Still need to set it up for me. But he had it dialed down to 60 pounds and still getting over 300 feet per second. With that kind of speed, the drop difference between 20-40 yards would be slight and pretty much negligible.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not buying your claim about the drop from 20 - 40 yards being neglible for any archery setup. Check out an arrow ballistic chart and see for yourself.

For instance, a 400 grain arrow shot at 400 fps from a 70# bow charts a 9" drop from 20 to 40. And, that setup is unrealistic.

I shoot a fairly new Hoyt. My five pins are tight, but not too tight to limit picking a certain pin. A two rail sight is necessary.

You will never see a target archer using the same pin for 20, 30, 40 etc. yards.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Funny, my sisters bow is at 70 pounds with 29 inch draw and lets off at 319 feet per second with her arrow setup. Yet there is only a 3 inch difference between 20 and 40 yards on a level shot. I'll max the poundage on my dads bow and re-serve the peep and kisser button for me and give it a swing for myself. I know with my old Raptor there is around 10 inches of drop between 20 and 40 and I only get around 285 feet per second with it. I think you might want to source that information you got from an arrow ballistics chart because that doesn't seem at all correct. Maybe if it had parachute vanes dragging it down. Not to mention a 400 grain total arrow weight is pretty light and will be dragged down faster than a heavier arrow. I'm not as heavily into archery hunting as the old man and my sister was/is but I was raised with a bow in my hand from the age of 3 and know my way around them pretty well. The old man always said it was an easy way of keeping us rooted to our Native American heritage as well as being humbled by our quarry and their senses.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna second whoever said to stick with a multiple pin setup until you are very very good and judging distance. I have a 10, 30, 40 and 50 pin and my bubble level hits at 85 yards. The reason I have a 10 yard pin is those animals that decide they want to walk directly under the stand and give you that 7 yard shot. BTW this is one of the least practiced shots that I see people screw up the most from the stand. Also I don't hunt using my 85 yard bubble, but I do sling my last 5 arrows of a practice session at the bag at 85 yards. It makes you really focus on form and follow through when you are the most tired from shooting.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's a pretty good chart on www.archeryreport.com It shows pretty much what I've found with my personal setups. For instance, an arrow sighted in for 20 yards, using the 20 yard pin held dead on, the arrow drops about 15" at 40 yards with a bow shooting 285 fps.

This jibes well with my shooting sessions over the years.

OP, what you can try is using only two pins. One set for 25 yards and a second one set for 35 yards. This should allow a decent gap between pins so that you can gap shoot. With most bows today you could use a 25 yard pin to shoot out to at least 30 yards (3" drop) without any hold over.

Believe me when I say, "The bow hasn't been designed yet that can shoot from 20 to 40 yards using a single pin without some form of compensating for the difference".