Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story >

Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Old 10-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

No, the clock resets each season. If I did not shoot a buck in the early season, I would have lost that opportunity. With permit bow, I have to again shoot a doe before I can legally take a buck. Talk about an ethical challenge....
Old 10-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the dept. thinks that if someone kills a buck that they will stop hunting and be satisfied with the taking of one deer. So they implement the earn a buck so now you will have to take a doe then your buck therefore 2 harvested animals. Well I have had to pass on many bucks this year[:@] and still haven' t got my doe. If they want to reduce the heard they should not limit us as to the sequence of the harvest, If I shot the buck first I would still be out there looking for a doe. Can never have too much venison in the freezer.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I hope next year the NJ DF&G changes this mess. I also hope they add some point restictions like 3 to a side. Since our season is so long now (sept 1 to feb 15, bow and gun) we are getting much fewer carrover bucks. These are your trophys for next year. While I am ranting here they should limit shotgun week to 1 buck only. NJ really has a mess here. The hunters are not happy and the general population of deer are still way up. [:@]
Old 10-31-2003, 04:12 PM

Well, yesterday, I had a 5 pt walk under me and gave me many opportunities to make the shot. I had to pass.

Then, a large group of does and young ones walked toward me, one winded me a bit, and the group basically stopped out of range. They did not spook, but they avoided me.

Then, a 6 point, shadowed by a button buck gave me ample shots as they both passed under my stand. I decided not to fill my anterless tag with a button buck.

5 minutes later another button buck (with a large body) walked under me. I passed again, but that one was tougher due to the nice size body.

With it getting dark, and a bunch of bucks chasing does in the soy bean field, I was getting discouraged that only bucks seemed to get near me.

Watching the field, a 6 point buck chased a doe out of the beans, right to my stand and WHAMO, I nailed her with the buck on her tail as she slowed down.

She is now at my favorite deer processor aging tenderly.

Now it is once again time to start hunting for BIG DADDY BUCK!!!!

Of course, Murphy (Murphy' s Law) will follow me to my stand and the bucks will no longer give me the opportunities I had yesterday.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greenbunch in the zone I hunt there is point restrictions at least 3pts on 1 side like you said.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what Bmott says, If they want us to take 2 does let us take them in the early season so we can concentrate on bucks during the rut. But I have never had a problem with getting a doe. So many around.

Brian
Old 11-01-2003, 08:00 AM

I agree with most of what has been said here.How about some suggestions that would be paletable to the division.I like that one about banking your early does(I have taken 4!),it cost me a huge buck last saturday and I probably won' t see him in the area again! From talking to some of my peers,this law is also making many criminals and distorting the div.' s statistics.Here' s my estimate on the real deer kill in N.J.:
REPORTED--APPROX. 70,000
ROAD KILL " 10,000
DEPRADATION PERMITS 15,000
UNREPORTED 15,000

and this is all with only 37,000 in our ranks!!!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:59 AM
nub

Sorry, But the State will not force me to shoot what I do not want to shoot.
So your option is to break the law?[:' (]
Old 11-02-2003, 12:57 PM

I am sure you will see the Deerkill in NJ change dramaticly. Many roadkills will be checked in as kills for buck tags, as well as non-Earn a buck zones will have many more bucks checked in. These will most likely be bucks taken from earn a buck areas. Oh and by the way, I' m going to earn my law degree so I can interpret those laws. [X(]
Old 11-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you already have the criminal aspect down.

Quick Reply: Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.