Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattle bags..... >

Rattle bags.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle bags.....

Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Rattle bags.....

Rattle bags, how many of you use them? I was thinking of getting the Prime Time bag. I thought it sounded pretty good and it would be easier to carry around too and from stands. What is some of your opinions?

James D.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:29 AM

Default RE: Rattle bags.....

I can' t claim to be an expert on rattling, but I did witness my first buck fight last weekend and then last night had the ' pleasure' of hearing a hunter use sheds to rattle with.

The difference in tonal quality was amazing. He was about the same distance away from me as the bucks were that I saw. The bucks were a definite higher pitched Click-clack, while his was a very dull sounding cluck-clunk. The Knight and Hale mess bag with the plastic ' tines' in it sounds much more like the deer than the sheds did, by far!!!

Another mistake I think he made was that he clashed them together very hard continuously, as if they were coming together over and over in the space of a couple of seconds. What I witnessed was completely different. There was a loud clash as they initially came together, but then jush a series of lesser clicks and clacks after they locked up and got into a pushing match, with the occassional louder clicking and clacking as one would try twisting his head, but that was only occasionally. His sounded like they got locked together and then starting doing back flips together.

In fact, I was so frustrated listening to his attempts that I almost yelled through the woods, " Give it up guy! You ain' t fooling anything!"

That' s my two cents. I' m a firm believer in bags now. I have read that soaking sheds in water bring back that ' live' bone or antler sound. Maybe it works, I don' t know.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Primos rattle bag. Just picked it up before the season started. I love the convenience of being able to slip them easily into my pocket if needed. I used to beatup my fingers from time to time with using regular antlers.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up one of the rattling bags last year and had some success with it last season...nothing to report on this year yet though the bucks have really started ruttin' already. It definitely cannot hurt to have it in your pack considering the size and expense.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:50 AM

bought one last year, love it, stores in back pack, easy to use, got tired of banging my fingers with sheds.[:-]