Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im sick

Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Im sick

Hey all. I'm sick to my stomach. Made what I thought was a great shot on a beautiful 8 this morning. Full passthru...15 drops of blood found.
I hate myself
Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get back out and look some more, take a friend who is a good tracker. Lay markers where you found last blood, do circle searches until you exhaust all possibilities.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Spike

Yep marked last blood. Circled for close to 4 hours. Notified all surrounding properties. 3 different people looking for blood. We found 10 drops
Old 11-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've looked for days on end for bucks I hit, and found almost every one too
all comes down to HOW far it went before it died,IF it died, and HOW willing you are to keep looking
4 hrs isn't all that much IMO
doing grid searches helps, possibly getting a tracking dog in can be a BIG help too

a deer can cover a LOT of ground in a short period of time, before expiring
I have recovered deer that went well over a mile, on little to NO blood, by just NOT giving up!
it sucks loosing a deer and it can happen to anyone
I feel your pain
BUT never hurts to look more?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Spike

Oh believe me I'm gonna keep looking but unfortunately it has to be done around my job. Pesky work keeps getting on the way.I've tracked deer miles before just to find them. And for multiple days but never with so little blood.
And update just found out that my neighbor shot at this same buck a week ago and missed. He's a tough nut.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gut shot maybe? They tend to be the toughest tracking jobs. Unfortunately, I know how that feels.

Good luck. Hope you find him.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

After many years of hunting and watching arrow hit deer both good and not so good shots and like you learned my lesson the hard way this is my current routine.
When I shoot a deer, unless I see him fall, whether I think it's a good shot or not I go to my truck and have a cup of coffee and stew for about an hour or so. That's if I think its a good shot. If the shot is iffy, I'll go have breakfast and wait at least 2-4 hours. If he's dead, he won't get any deader.
This has worked for me and I haven't lost any of my last 15 or so deer.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Spike

I'll add be sure to check around and even in water especially if you think it may have been gut shot. They always seem to search out water in that case.

I had one many years ago that went into a pond and died there, we searched and searched and then finally two antler tines were spotted sticking out of the pond which had frozen over the night I shot him. Took us quite a while to bust that ice, lasso and haul him out.

My nephew also just shot his first deer ever with a bow this past weekend, a really nice 10 point with three sticker points. He got a piece of the left lung, diaphram and a bit of gut and that deer went through one slough and then we finally found him lying at the edge of a pond.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default As someone should have told you

Archers are made on the archery practice range.

I still don't know why shooters who miss use blood drops.
They could be looking for a whole deer laying there. Or don't use a compass to find a deer that is suppose to be laying 50 or 100 yards from getting shot. Of course, you have to make a good shot to do that.
Guess most know they made a poor shot and no deer is going to be found close by.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
Archers are made on the archery practice range.

I still don't know why shooters who miss use blood drops.
They could be looking for a whole deer laying there. Or don't use a compass to find a deer that is suppose to be laying 50 or 100 yards from getting shot. Of course, you have to make a good shot to do that.
Guess most know they made a poor shot and no deer is going to be found close by.
Huh???!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.