Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
4pt in the freezer. >

4pt in the freezer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

4pt in the freezer.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:40 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default 4pt in the freezer.

I got lucky Sunday evening. I sat over a Doe and two fawn last week. One of the fawn busted me as I was watching them....It's a funny thing to see a fawn stomp. This weekend it rained all day Saturday, so Sunday morning I set up a blind in a hollow. I was in a small stand of oaks next to a recently cleared field. It was pretty windy Sunday so I was glad to be in the blind. I hunted 2 hours in the morning and spent the day working on a few projects and slipped back into the blind an hour before sunset. Around 635 I heard something and started craning my neck to see. Finally caught sight of what I first thought was a large doe....then realized it was a buck... I didn't have a shot and it turned around and hung in a blind spot so I couldn't get shot off on it. It was a 4 pointer hanging around a spike. The spike came 10 yds from me presenting a perfect broad side shot. I just tried to be motionless and not run them off. The spike turned and walked away for a few feet. His tail was twitchy but I didn't see the flag. A small branch fell behind me and both deer took off toward the field. I figured that was it and sat there trying to get a better look at them. They were hanging out at the edge of the woodline. after about 10 minutes, they turned around and came back down. I waited as the spike crossed in front of me....when the 4 point crossed in front of me, presenting a perfect broadside, I double lunged him with my crossbow. Distance was about 17 yds. I knew I hit him because it sounded like swinging a bat against a cardboard box. He ran about 30 yds then stopped....took one more hop over a log and I heard a crash. No more noise from him, but the spike ran in that direction and walked around for a while....like he had no idea what to do on his own. I waited 30 minutes before leaving the blind...by then it was pretty dark. It's no monster buck but it's meat and he sure was heavy dragging out.....but I might be getting a little older.
I will probably hold off on bucks unless they are bigger, the rest of the season....does will have to fill the freezer.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:10 AM
Spike

Nice looking deer and great shot placement
Old 10-13-2016, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go. A deer is a deer
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Good going and a nice eating sized deer.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats bud! Meat is meat!
Old 10-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

My brother shot a similar 4pt tonight in Virginia. Good eats for all.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:22 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I was hoping for a nice fat doe, but I'll take what I can get. I know there are a few really nice bucks out where I hunt. I have a few pictures of them on my game cams from last year, and I found a 5 point shed antler. I had about 25 acres logged this year so I have taken away a lot of the hunting habitat. That changes things dramatically. The deer still love to come thru the areas I have cleared, and I have been trying to grow a food plot but it's mostly just debris. I kept the stand of oaks where this guy was shot, and some other larger wooded areas. Eventually I will have plenty of food plot established for the deer to be drawn in, as well as an orchard. But right now, It's the oak trees and the acorns that I am working.