Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
field point accuracy broadheads >

field point accuracy broadheads

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

field point accuracy broadheads

Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Spike

Default field point accuracy broadheads

Which bh are good and are fixed blades that fly like field points I kinda like the whole cut on contact thing but I'm open to ideas for my crossbow 175 pull recurve at 100 he bh
Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can of worms here with a question like that!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Can of worms here with a question like that!
It sure is! Here's my experience.... It doesn't matter what a company advertises, or claims. You need to shoot your broadheads and see where they are hitting. And you need to do it at various ranges. I know it's painful shooting $$$$ broadheads into targets but you need to do it. It may shoot just like your fieldpoint, or it may be way off. Only one way to find out.
-Jake
Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Bartender

I like this.
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It sure is! Here's my experience.... It doesn't matter what a company advertises, or claims. You need to shoot your broadheads and see where they are hitting. And you need to do it at various ranges. I know it's painful shooting $$$$ broadheads into targets but you need to do it. It may shoot just like your fieldpoint, or it may be way off. Only one way to find out.
-Jake
Old 08-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

-Jake
Yep Yep!! I don't fool with x-bows yet but probably will be before long. But from the guys I know that do, several of them swear by the Slick Trick 150 grain x-bow broadhead. I use Slick Tricks with a few of my rigs and on every single one they fly identical to field tips. One of my bows tops 310fps at 70 pounds and they fly perfectly out of it. Another brand I use is G5. One of my buds started using x-bow last year and got some 125 grain G5 Striker crossbow BH's. Said they flew right close but was just a smidge lower than his field tips. His "smidge" is around an inch. I know he smacked a big 285 pound live weight buck last year with them and it went around 12 yards before piling up. Pretty good sized entry/exit holes from right at 36 yards so performance was without question. As Boca mentioned, your results may vary. All you can do is take our recommendations and give them a try. At least with the Slicks and the G5, you have replacement blades so practice wont break the bank.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are any of you concerned about BH's you practice with losing some edge to be considered still huntable? I'm with you on having to practice shooting every BH you intend to hunt with. I use Shuttle T's currently and they fly straight, but I still practice with every one in my quiver.

I have never sharpened a BH and haven't worried too much about it in the past, but I wonder if anybody else does.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is no way you should be practicing with a broadhead and then hunting with it without sharpening it before it's used or going with a new one out of the box that's razor sharp.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

The way I do it, and it may not be correct but it has worked for me.... I use one broadhead out of my package as my practice head. I suppose there could be some variation between each broadhead.... I haven't thought too much about it... But I typically buy 6 at a time, and use one as practice head, the rest in my quiver for hunting. That way I'm shooting deer with a brand new head...
-Jake
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chazspot
Are any of you concerned about BH's you practice with losing some edge to be considered still huntable? I'm with you on having to practice shooting every BH you intend to hunt with. I use Shuttle T's currently and they fly straight, but I still practice with every one in my quiver.

I have never sharpened a BH and haven't worried too much about it in the past, but I wonder if anybody else does.
According to the medium you are shooting into (target) as some targets don't dull your blades much for a couple shots. I have black hole targets and as long as I don't shoot into them more than twice they only very slightly dull my blades. Still plenty sharp for hunting. I just leather strop them and it brings them back to hair splitting scary sharpness.

The way I do it, and it may not be correct but it has worked for me.... I use one broadhead out of my package as my practice head. I suppose there could be some variation between each broadhead.... I haven't thought too much about it... But I typically buy 6 at a time, and use one as practice head, the rest in my quiver for hunting. That way I'm shooting deer with a brand new head...
-Jake
That's fine Jake, as long as you spin test all the broadheads to check for imperfections, they should all be close enough in tolerance to fly equal to each other. Same lot and all. With my extreme bows I test them all then strop them as previously mentioned. With speeds over 310fps ANY small detail can cause a drastic change in POI so my OCD kicks into high gear when using them.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Spike

here's what I found - I bought X5 Envy arrows from Bass Pro to use as practice arrows. I hunt with Carbon Express Maxima Reds. The Envy and the Maxima fly nearly identical for me with field points. However, when I put a G5 Striker on each, the Envy shifts too much, while the Maxima hits in the same spot. I am using helical vanes.

So, for me, the answer is the G5 Striker (125 gr). But That's with my Draw, my bow, and my technique (or lack thereof).

you need to experiment, and you will find a combination you like. Almost all the manufacturers today may a quality product - they have to to stay in business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.