Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Kid's Archery Gear? >

Kid's Archery Gear?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kid's Archery Gear?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kid's Archery Gear?

I’m a muzzloader and rifle hunter. I have not yet made the jump to bow hunting because I have not yet made been ready to commit the $$ nor the practice time I think would be necessary to become an ethical bow hunter.

My 8-year-old son just finished his second year of cub scout day camp and his favorite activity was archery. Am thinking that maybe this is an activity we can get into together. I am curious whether there are any decent bows that a little kid could use that can get him into the sport such that he enjoys it for the long term. Of course I don’t expect much and know it will still be years before he gets close to a point where he could hunt. I also don’t want him to get frustrated early.

So my question is, can anyone recommend any brand/type of kids’ bow. Also, if anyone thinks I am maybe jumping the gun and should wait a few years let me know.

Of course this means I need to make some purchases myself as I doubt the same gear would work for both of us.

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I seem to remember I purchased a PSE from Bass Pro when my son was that age. I remember i was going to give it to an old coworker for his son but he wasn't interested. I ended up giving it away to my god son a few years later after I upgraded the rest. It was pretty good with the new rest.

Kids do grow quickly. You may want to check out a woman's bow since they tend to be lower draw weight and do get into legal hunting weights. When it came to shotguns. When my son was 8, I went ahead an bought him an adult pump because I knew he would be able to figure out how to handle it and of course grow right into it. The gun was almost as tall as him and it was funny at the five stand. They both were the same price. So with a bow, the more your son draws and shoots, the better and faster he will develop the muscles required to shoot and may advance pretty quickly in DW. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

When my daughter was 8 I picked up a bow package @ Rural King for about $30 to see how much she was really interested. She had a hard time pulling that one back for a while. But if he's that fired up, Mission & Diamond make good bows for kids that have a lot of adjustment built in. If you look around you can probably find one used.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the Mission Craze that is what my 10 yo son is getting for christmas.

Edit if they are serious about it get them some exercise bands and pull up bar for the door frame. My son is a monkey and hung on that bar for several months. Currently he is at 7 true pull ups, which is not easy to do he is trying to catch me so it is a fun workout to do together. The bands are great for developing draw strength.

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 07-30-2016 at 07:12 AM.