Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Go heavy

Old 04-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Go heavy

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gam...nk=PointsNorth
Old 04-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've always said that the right balance between K.E. and Momentum is what you should be looking for. In other words, the right balance between mass and velocity. I never did like to compare archery ballistics with firearms ballistics, because bullets and broadheads use that energy very differently. Broadheads are designed to cut a nice clean wound channel through the body, whereas bullets are designed to expand and cause more internal trauma.

I've always been a fan of mid-weight arrows (450-500 grains). Some might call that heavy, but I think its the perfect balance of speed and weight for my rig. Obviously, that value will vary from one shooter to another, because of different bows, draw weights, and draw lengths. Unfortunately, this is one of that debates that will go on forever, since people can't just use what works for them and let others do the same.

It won't be long before the Ashby crowd finds this thread and starts to tell us that we're all wrong and heavier is always better. However, none of them seem to understand that compound bows are simple machines and have efficiency curves. At some point, you cross the point of diminishing returns and that extra weight starts to cost you speed without giving you much more momentum in return.