Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2016 archey bear blog >

2016 archey bear blog

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2016 archey bear blog

Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got one(two)! Sorry about the truck though. My cousin hit a buck driving to sheetz to get coffee on opening morning a few years back. Those butchering fees are rough, especially when you know you can do it for free. Sounds like a good hunt though. Any idea what each bear weighed?
-Jake
Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

The bow killed boar was 200 and the truck killed sow 100

Here is an update on the bear hunt. The meat and hides were picked up yesterday (Thursday) for the return trip. I didn’t think it would necessary to unroll the hides to inspect them at the butcher

(again, I hated having to use a butcher since I do my own butchering and processing and sausage making but I was away from home and it was warm so I was in a tight spot so I used the local butcher)

After making the long drive home I unrolled both hides to salt and flesh them and discovered the butcher destroyed the hides. I instructed him to skin the bears for rug mounts so I don’t know why he cut the rear feet off and both hides were so full of knife cuts/holes from skinning that they are both useless. In addition, he used a saw to cut the spine and rather than using a knife to cut at a vertebrae joint behind the skull, he sawed through the back of the skull ruining the skull mount. Clearly this butcher shop had no experience butchering bear. I called the butcher to vent my frustration and he apologized but offered no satisfaction and stated that the feet were included in the box with the hides (as if that were some sort of consolation)

On the up side, both hides were to go to a nephew who is a fledgling taxidermist in training and the hides were going to him so he could practice since I already have bear on the wall and bear skull so I did not intend to mount them for myself but that is beside the point. This butcher clearly had no business processing bear.

Currently Im cleaning/whitening the skulls. Here are the hides with the feet positioned so at least a picture could be taken.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

That's a bummer. Nothing you can do now I guess. Next time research so youre not stuck looking for a butcher last second I guess. Too bad tho. especially about the skulls getting cut.
-Jake
Old 09-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have not missed an archery deer opening day in a long time but because I have two bear to deal with I had no choice. Friday night, the meat was thawed enough to work with so I began cutting and trimming. I also began the process of doing Euro mounts on both skulls as well as salting the smaller (truck killed) bear skin. The other skin is in the freezer for my Nephew.

On Saturday I completed the cutting and wrapping of the meat. I kept the lions share for sausage making but saved some roasts, steaks, loins as well as cubed meat for stews and chili. Later on I will make snack stick and perhaps summer sausage.

I got all the meat off the skulls and applied 40 volume whitener and the skulls will now sit for a few days until I rinse them.

Then I turned my attention to the small hide. Im thinking of tanning it myself and perhaps making a quiver or hat or gloves so I cut off the remaining front feet and the head. (I will harvest the claws at a later date so the feet went to the freezer) The hide sat salted for 24 hours then I rinsed it and fleshed it out. I use a piece of PVC as a fleshing beam.

Here is the hide after all the flesh and fat and membrane are removed. The prime areas of the hide really stand out (dark blue area)

Then I salted it again.

Tomorrow I will rinse off the salt and twice bathe the hide in hot water with Dawn dish soap to degrease it and then rinse and hang it.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

6 Days since the hunt and I got both skulls cleaned and the first whitening completed. The hide is still under salt.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize the butcher made several punctures in the hides, but in general (when skinning is properly done, that is), is it much of an issue patching up the entrance and exit wounds? How do you normally deal with it (either on a bear or deer).