Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Help us set a price point >

Help us set a price point

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help us set a price point

Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Help us set a price point

This might seem like an unusual request but Im looking to bowhunters for input on a new product launch and Im coming directly to bowhunters since that is who this product will be marketed to. Im looking to the huntingNet community for assistance in setting a price point for a product. I understand the inherent risks in asking bowhunters to suggest a price since the obvious answer will be $1 or some other very low dollar amount since nobody wants to pay much for anything and I expect there will be those that say “send me one for free and I will try it out for you and let you know” (sorry)

Most of us have limited funds to spend on bowhunting gear we take to the field with us and everything has a price point the market will bear. This means we need to establish a price point for this new launch. Its one of the final steps before we launch.

We have not launched our web site so Im not seeking page hits or likes or trying to direct you to a web site. In fact we are still awaiting our patent status from the US patent office which is prohibiting public disclosures beyond what Im about to detail here. Im going to simply describe the product, its features and benefits to bowhunters and I’m looking to members to give a suggested price point for a product that does what Im about to describe. This item is geared towards the compound bow hunter.

We know our production costs and shipping costs and we could certainly set an arbitrary price but if bowhunters are not willing to pay that, it is a wasted effort so Im looking to see what bowhunters of varied financial status have to say. If after reading this, you determine this is a product you would have zero use for, (and I understand there will be those that wont want or need such a product), then I would ask that you either suggest a price point or simply click away to another thread.

I understand Im asking you to provide a best estimate sight unseen.

Read through it and suggest a price point. Here is the breakdown.

Bowhunters! Have you ever been caught without your bow in your hand by a game animal that appeared out of nowhere?

Did you get busted reaching for your bow?

Did you grab your bow too soon and now you have the arm shakes because you lost the waiting game?

Have you ever hit your limb on your bow hanger?

Do you hate being separated from your bow while using your cell phone, rattling antlers, Binos, turkey calls, decoys??

Are you looking for a bowhunting bow holster to address these issues?

Would like a wearable bow holder that

keeps your bow in the ready, upright position

Has to have 2 points of contact to your bow

Allows for hands free operation or minimal hands on usage

Does not interfere with the draw cycle

Works both standing and sitting and walking (spot and stalk)

Allows you to remove your bow without taking their eye of the game animal

Works with every brand of bow on the market

Fits every hunter regardless if you’re a 6 ft 4” man or a 4 ft 6” woman or a youth hunter

Is quiet, easy to use and light weight

Will not interfere with your fall arrest harness

If so, what would you suggest as a price point??? I understand this may not be enough info to formulate a response.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know you are reluctant to show a picture since your patent has not yet been awarded. However, even with the list of claims as to what the device will do you re asking an impossible question to reasonably answer sight unseen. There are formulas to determine the price of an item that takes into account the money you have invested, production costs and restocking cost. The price for direct sale would be more than the price you sell to a distributor, if you are going to wholesale to sporting goods stores. If you are going to sell direct, you may have problems getting sporting goods stores to handle the product because they do not like to have to compete directly with the manufacturer. This probably wasn't helpful but I would have no idea how to suggest a price sight unseen, or better yet have it in my hands so I could see the quality of lack there of.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd love to help, but have to agree with Oldtimr that it's impossible to give a price without knowing what the product is made out of, etc. I think Oldtimr gave some pretty good advice of how to determine what you need to sell it for to make a profit and stay in business. If the price is too high you will obviously not sell enough to stay in business. If it's low, but enough to make a profit, you can gradually raise the price to see what the market will bear. Personally I could care less what it would cost because I wouldn't be interested in it.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have an idea of what you are proposing for a product. If it is what I have in mind, you aren't anywhere near the first to come out with it. Primos has had their "Bow Holster" out for a number of years now. They go from 10.99 to 15.99. If it's anything like that design then it doesn't work for sitting at all. There are others that clip onto your bow at a couple places with a harness that are really more of a pain to use than they are useful. If it isn't like those 2 designs then I honestly have no clue how you would make something to be useful in standing as well as seated positions so I couldn't be of any help to your request. Maybe a little more information as to the product and how it is used would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply. Good points you said

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I think I have an idea of what you are proposing for a product. If it is what I have in mind, you aren't anywhere near the first to come out with it. Primos has had their "Bow Holster" out for a number of years now. They go from 10.99 to 15.99. If it's anything like that design then it doesn't work for sitting at all.
It not like the Primos product. Ours is a two point of contact system and works very well in the seated or sanding or still hunting position. After a lengthy patent search, it appears there was an explosion of ideas for bow holders that started in the early 1970 with the advent of compound bows. We knew going in we would not be the first to devise a bow holder but our searching showed there is not product on the market that does what I explained above.

Bows evolved but bow holders have not so folks are left with the primos which does not work with all bows nor is it a dual point of contact version nor is it hands free. We fully understand not every bowhunter will have a need for our product. Its just a simple tool and all bowhunters have their druthers for what they want. We get that. We are getting ready to release in a few weeks but one of the final steps is establishing a price point that is a fair value.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry DYI but with the little information you have given us, I myself can't wrap my head around how the product would be designed that would be any different than the other various products out there, including the 2 point harness systems or the bow holsters, to be able to give you any price point. Just not enough information given to extrapolate use vs. cost. It's like you asking "hey guys, I have a new design for pushing an arrow 500fps but I can't show you. What would you pay for it?" Too many questionable variables in your brief explanation to be able to determine worth.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you to everybody that provided an opinion. We are only a couple weeks away from launching our web site which will have copious pictures and videos further detailing the product. We set the launch date to coincide with the 75th Anniversary convention of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association where we will have a vendor booth.

Based on the input gathered from a few forums we settled on an initial launch price of $25. In the meantime we are building an inventory in anticipation of the launch. We want to get a few hundred made prior to the launch.

Thanks Again.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would be nice if you could post some pictures to show one holding a bow with it attached to a person in both a standing and sitting position. I think that would go a long way in helping to sell your product.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

We are not prepared yet to sell. We are still building the web site and inventory prior to the launch. Once launched there will be a lot of pics and videos.