Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Distance Between You Another hunter >

Distance Between You Another hunter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Distance Between You Another hunter

Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Spike

I've had people start to setup 50-75 yards away from me on public in the past, then I whistle a little to get their attention and MOST move on waving sorry. Twice however I have had people blow me off and set up as they had planned which was fairly close, and at first I was very annoyed by it. Even more so when I noticed them moving around a lot... But then something cool happened. The first time it happened I watched a buck clearly see the guy moving around trying to get to his bow, so I grabbed mine and sat patiently waiting to see what happened. The buck stayed back about 70 yards from the guy and circled around the guy keeping an eye on him but placing him just 20 yards away from me. The buck caught a ride home in my truck that day, and the other hunter cussed me out for shooting HIS DEER that clearly avoided him like the plague and walked right by me. His loss, my gain.

The second time I had that happen the guy actually flipped me the bird and said out loud that it's public and he'll sit where he wants, with a few other adult works added into it... Ok... So about an hour into the hunt a few does came by between us. I wasn't going to shoot one but still had my bow in my hand for just in case. Well the guy decided apparently to be a jerk and said BOO which obviously spooked the doe right past me at a run. Unknown to both of us at the time, there was a decent 8pt buck slipping in towards the does from behind the other guy. When he yelled BOO the buck busted out running right at me. When he was 25 yards out I drew my bow for if I could stop him. He seen me draw and locked up the breaks...His mistake and he too went home in my truck.

My point... Yes it really REALLY stinks when people are so rude to setup by you if they know you are there, but at times it can actually help you and you'll also get to rub it in their faces a little bit too.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Spike

yeah! you're right!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When using a tree stand

I check the area for tree stands in the area, used and unused.
And if I find a treestand, I question whether I went in so shallow or silently compliment the nearby hunter.
I carry in/carry out, I rarely find a nearby competitor. Maybe he had green beret or seal training.
I'm real serious about going deep. And I then move and go a little deeper.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally won't sit any where I can see a hunter, I go out of my way to avoid them, and will walk farther if needed

My worst case with an another hunter was in PA< and on Game lands
I hiked to the top of a Mt in NE pa, where there was a big rock cropping, and a few LARGE boulders that if you got on top gave you an awesome view, but it was a hike in, all UP hill too, a good 1.5 miles

I left the house early, about 3 am, to get there way before day light and to NOT break a sweat climbing, planned to sit there ALL DAY!
AT first light, I see this orange dot coming right at me from FAR off, and I too am in ALL orange(wear all I can on game lands)
I stuck out like a neon sign at night being on top of this BIG light colored rock!

at about a 100 yrds out I gave him a whistle, he looked right at me, put his head down as if ignoring me??
and the guy just kept coming at me,
he had to go around the back side of the rock I was on, about 12 ft from me, then he proceeded to climb up on top of the rock I was sitting on
I was like WTF??> this ruined my day and hunting experience as far as I was concerned
AT this point I was HOPING It was a warden and just wanted to check me out or???

NOPE< this guy sweating like a ice cube in a microwave, STUCK to high He$$ by MY nose
he then says to me
HOW about you watch that way and I'll watch this way
he wanted to sit back to back with LOL

I was like are you F'n kidding me
I walked 2+ hrs ion the dark to get here to NOT have anyone near me???
SO, NO< I am NOT going to sit here with you ??

he just sat there and ignored me.
I sat there about 10 minutes waiting to see if MAYBE he would move on
but NOPE
' he just sat there 5 ft from me watching the area behind me??something I could see just fine if I just turned my head??
Total Jackass IMO

I then got pissed and left making as much noise as I could
never hunted there again,!!

I have a second story if anyone cares

Was hunting up at Promise Land State park, back in the early 90's, bear season
we had about a ft of snow
I will never forget this one! LOL

I walked back WAY back around the back side of a big swamp, trying to cut some tracks, walked my brains out, its BIG woods hunting!
around noon or so, decided to just have a seat and sit for an hr or two

again I am WAY back in NO where NOT on a logging road or?? just woods walking!

I get set up nice and comfy on a big blow down
and am again in orange from head to toe, in a ft of snow, I stuck OUT

about 30 minutes into my sit, I see an orange blob walking towards me , about 300 yrds off
he at about 200 yrds out waves to me?
so I KNOW he see's me!!
he then continues to head my way
gets to about a 100 yards from me and he STOPS
OK<?rather farther off, but OK??

I then watch the guy start to take off all his outer wear??WTH??
he then proceeds to strip off his boots and pants??
and he is looking RIGHT at me the whole time??
he then proceeds to take a crap! LOL
I kid you not
I am sitting there like, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!
I must be about 3 miles from the closest road, where a truck can get any ways
I haven't seen a humans foot print in the snow all day
as soon as I decided to sit for a while, get comfy
this MORON shows up and takes a crap a 100 yrds from me??
after he did his business, he put all his gear back on and left in the same way he came??

I never hunted there again either??

there out there folks, be careful!!