Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Eagle Lakes Outfitters Pike County, IL >

Eagle Lakes Outfitters Pike County, IL

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Eagle Lakes Outfitters Pike County, IL

Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Spike

Default Eagle Lakes Outfitters Pike County, IL

Anyone ever hunt with them. Seriously considering a late season hunt with them and just wanted to get some reviews, good or bad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just talked to a guy hunting with them this weekend. Pretty much the same as the rest of the areas big outfitters.

Nice accommodations and prime hunting land that will have been already hunted pretty hard.

Big fancy accommodations + buying/leasing prime hunting land = booking lots of hunters to make money.

Don't take that as a negative its just the reality of it.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much how Rock put it. Expect the deer to have already been pretty heavily pressured and strung pretty tightly. Many of the outfitters/guides around this state will SAY they put limited pressure on their hunting fields but 90% of the time that is total horse pucky. They put as much pressure on them as they can get hunters. Still not as bad as a lot of public lands in this state but more so than they admit to.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Spike

Does it make any difference that the hunt wouldn't be until the last week in December? Would the deer be more predictable coming to food plots and less pressure due to less hunters?

Never hunted late season before.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Widgeonus
Does it make any difference that the hunt wouldn't be until the last week in December? Would the deer be more predictable coming to food plots and less pressure due to less hunters?

Never hunted late season before.

They will be grouped up and focused on food. The weather conditions could make it very much boom or bust.

Yes they will probably be pretty predictable. Whether they will put you in a prime situation I really don't know.

Just to clarify though I'm not talking about the deer being skittish were talking about Pike co.....the deer get hunted hard about everywhere. At the rate of 2-3 grand a week not many places are not getting hunting pressure.

What I'm talking about is the deer are dead. Come late season people have been rolling in and out of town for months looking for these giants and most of the locals are doing the same. That giant buck that strolls around in the food plots in the daylight is hanging on the rack in town at the taxidermy shop.

Don't get me wrong they are not all dead of course but the % is way down by then. A staggering number of nice bucks will fall over the next two weeks.

Pike county has the resources to produce a whole new crop of 140+ inch deer year after year BUT it can't replace the ones that were killed in Oct,Nov,and Dec by late Dec/January.

Last edited by rockport; 11-16-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
They will be grouped up and focused on food. The weather conditions could make it very much boom or bust.

Yes they will probably be pretty predictable. Whether they will put you in a prime situation I really don't know.

Just to clarify though I'm not talking about the deer being skittish were talking about Pike co.....the deer get hunted hard about everywhere. At the rate of 2-3 grand a week not many places are not getting hunting pressure.

What I'm talking about is the deer are dead. Come late season people have been rolling in and out of town for months looking for these giants and most of the locals are doing the same. That giant buck that strolls around in the food plots in the daylight is hanging on the rack in town at the taxidermy shop.

Don't get me wrong they are not all dead of course but the % is way down by then. A staggering number of nice bucks will fall over the next two weeks.

Pike county has the resources to produce a whole new crop of 140+ inch deer year after year BUT it can't replace the ones that were killed in Oct,Nov,and Dec by late Dec/January.
Makes perfect sense man. Appreciate the advice.