Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Swhackers

Old 11-16-2015, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Swhackers

Well Ive discussed how this is a terrible broadhead design so I took a picture to show why on the latest wild goose chase I was called to brought on by these broadheads.

They give you one good hole....if for whatever reason you don't get a pass through they give you a single one inch slit.......BY DESIGN even. I just can't imagine why people use these things.

Now I am pulling this hole open with my thumb. That is it.....shoot a quartering deer and hit bone on the backside or guts on the backside(guts will plug the exit) and that is what you have to work with.....a tiny one inch slit where as the deer moves the layers shift (hide and muscle) and you end up tracking a deer with a one inch surface wound.

I know people will say "well if you hit it right they work" this is true but I could say the same about the $10 broadheads from wal mart

I found this deer through persistence, knowledge of how deer travel when hurt, and luck.

This particular deer was one lunged and exited the gut leaving the exit plugged and no blood from the less than adequate entrance wound.

Last edited by rockport; 11-16-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw several "hunting videos" (and boy do I use that term loosely there) featuring that broad head. Only on ONE video (out of around 10 I think) did I see a clean pass through. Yet they try to say that it has exceptional penetration! I'll stick with me old G5's and me Tricks.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Saw several "hunting videos" (and boy do I use that term loosely there) featuring that broad head. Only on ONE video (out of around 10 I think) did I see a clean pass through. Yet they try to say that it has exceptional penetration! I'll stick with me old G5's and me Tricks.
A broadhead that has a 1 inch incision entrance by design and is prone to not passing through......I just don't get it.

Luckily I think I converted another yesterday. You will be happy to know I suggested the slick tricks or montecs as they are more readily available than my go to head the thunderhead razor.

By the way I Had a guy using those muzzy trocars the other day. Ive been wanting to try those. They felt a little cheap to me and I didn't like the tip(a little blunt I thought) as far as in hand evaluation but when he shot a deer they were very impressive.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the post! I was considering looking at these but not any more. The way this broadhead deploys its blades already had me wandering
Old 01-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default swhackers

i have used them and harvested 2 elk, 3 deer, 3 turkeys but i have hit 1 elk on the outside ridge of the shoulder bone and it bounced back and fell to the ground with aluminum tip bent like a hook (the elk gave me the middle hoof and ran off like nothing happened). although i have used swhackers occasionally i do not endorse them because of the background of how they got to market (another story) and i think there are lot of other fixed and mechanical broadheads that will work just as good and probably better.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Buddy lost a Big Kansas Buck this year with them Swhackers. Hit it in the shoulder, never had a chance. If He had 125gr Phatheads then he had a chance. He said the Swhacker bounced off that shoulder like a Super Ball.

HJ
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

GrimReaper, RazorCut. Muzzy style TroCar tip with small side cutter blades then the 3 expandable blades. Now they have a 4 blade as well. I shoot the 1-3/8ths cut, 100grn and they have upto a 2" cut Whitetail version. DEADLY!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. I do not use Swhackers for the same reason. They do a lot of damage but, as mentioned, no pass-through = no blood trail. That's just not a gamble I'm willing to take, when there are so many better designs on the market. I used to use the Ulmer Edge, before it was discontinued and I've mostly used Wasp Jak-Hammers since then. There are too many other good broadheads to list, but I'd probably even use a Rage before I thought about flinging a Swhacker at an animal.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Never had a problem with my Swackers flying great and killing deer quickly. I use Slick Tricks for elk, however.

Last edited by BTM; 09-20-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Ive had great success with swhackers and got several path thru's on deer. They do leave a heck of a blood trail. I have not lost any deer using them and love them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.