Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need help with deer recovery >

Need help with deer recovery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with deer recovery

Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Noone is trying to be buttheads here Levimundt, facts are facts. I've been known to practice with my rigs out to 100 yards and can hit consistently at that range. But I limit my shots on LIVE game to 40 yards. Just like my 06, 300WM, and a few of my other rifles I can hit consistently at 800-1000 yards but I limit my shots on LIVE game to 300-400 yards. The reason I limit my shots is TIME. It takes time for an arrow to get there. It takes time for a bullet to get there. Deer have extremely fast reflexes and those arrows are NOT breaking the sound barrier. They hear that string and drop, turn, jump, whatever reflexive action they feel is appropriate. Several of my rigs top 300fps and I've seen deer drop below my shot at 40 yards! The simple fact is, you made a very poor shot choice and oldtimr and the others are letting you know it first off.

Now as to your question, from your description of the blood, you have a liver hit and maybe not a heavily liver hit deer but it does sound like liver blood is definitely mixed in. Liver shots can be survivable if it was just clipped in the upper lobe which sound like what you got. But they usually don't survive long. They end up with sepsis and die in about a week. On rare occasions they buck it but with cold weather coming on this week I kind of doubt it. I'd personally get back out there to the last spot you found blood and start hoof tracking. If you have a friend with a good blood dog that would be the absolute best option. I have several friends all over the country with dogs they use just for these occasions. What state are you in and what part of the state and I'll let you know if I have anyone close to you to help.
I'm in Hamlin, NY. I feel like dogs may be my only option left. I tracked on foot for four hours last night. And I'm planning on going back on out tonight also. I've been told to look for crows and blue jays.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, crows will be cawing hard if it's down. Closest guy I have to you is in up state Pa. Would probably be a bit on the pricey side to get him up there to you. If you have any friends that have good rabbit hounds (beagles preferably) get one on a leash and have it nose up to the last blood spot. DO NOT let it loose off the leash or it will end up ruined and be hitting deer trails when nosing for rabbit. Hard to break them of running deer if they have been allowed to un- leash a trail. As long as you don't let them do it TOO often they wont get into the habit of deer trailing. Nose it up to the blood and encourage it that it's okay to trail it.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

90% of the deer Ive had to help track because the blood suddenly stopped what really happened is the deer changed direction and the hunter did not try hard enough to pick it back up.

Get on your hands and knees and find the next drop....then the next drop.

I can't tell you how many times Ive seen this happen then tracked the blood just like it was before once I found the next few drops..
Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Rockport said. Get on your knees. You haven't spent hardly anytime looking for this deer. You may have to hold off on the field until you find this deer, you owe it to the deer, not the field.
Find some kind of flagging tape to mark each and every blood spot you find. Deer usually head for water and think cover after they have been hit. Keep this in mind and start making circles around each blood spot until you find the next one.