Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking for a new bow >

Looking for a new bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for a new bow

Old 11-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a new bow

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at buying a new compound bow. I'm looking for one that isn't really expensive, that has a good value, and is fast enough to hunt with. I'm looking for something in the 60-70# range, or maybe the 50-60# range. I live in North Carolina, and I'm mainly going to be hunting for Whitetails, Turkeys and other big game animals that live in NC. I'm a teenager, and don't have vast reserves of money so I'm looking for something in a lower price range that has proven to be good for hunting conditions.

Thanks,
Rylan
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

CB, first off welcome to the site. Secondly, you might be better served by looking for a good used compound. There are many that are just a couple to 3 years old that are still very high quality bows that will serve all of your needs. Your top brands are BowTech (my personal favorite), Hoyt, Mathews, PSE (has come a long way and makes good bows nowadays), and Martin are your top of the line manufacturers. A new compound from any of these will be getting up there in price. A 2 or 3 year old bow that has been taken care of will cost you hundreds less and still be more than adequate to serve your hunting needs.

If you are dead set on new, I would recommend Diamond bows. They are made by BowTech. Great bows for a lower price than the top of the line models.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
CB, first off welcome to the site. Secondly, you might be better served by looking for a good used compound. There are many that are just a couple to 3 years old that are still very high quality bows that will serve all of your needs. Your top brands are BowTech (my personal favorite), Hoyt, Mathews, PSE (has come a long way and makes good bows nowadays), and Martin are your top of the line manufacturers. A new compound from any of these will be getting up there in price. A 2 or 3 year old bow that has been taken care of will cost you hundreds less and still be more than adequate to serve your hunting needs.

If you are dead set on new, I would recommend Diamond bows. They are made by BowTech. Great bows for a lower price than the top of the line models.
Good advice. Another bow line to look into is is Mission (Mathews sister company). The Ballistic is a nice bow for the money.
But before you commit you should shoot as many as you can until you find one that feels right to you and don't go solely by name.
You don't need a 350+ fps bow to kill a whitetail. Practice and patience is what will get the job done.
I am a big fan of Martin bows and you can likely find a good used one out there. Once you find a bow you like, go home and check the web sites like Craigslist and such. Maybe you'll find one there at a good price.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The newer g5 prime bows are going dirt cheap on the used market because they haven't been around long. That would be my suggestion. 2013 Prime defy.

They are awesome. The budget bows(diamond,Mission,Bear etc) are not even on the same planet as the prime bows.

My second choice for a hunting bow would be a used Bowtech Allegiance which is one of the best hunting bows ever made IMO.

I could have shot my Bowtech equalizer(short draw Allegiance) for the rest of my life but I couldn't pass up the prime bow for the prices they are going for.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Spike

I agree with bowtech diamonds and mathew mission, they're reliable. I shoot a diamond and like the cheapness( less expensive)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

All post have provided great advice, I would recommend going to a local pro shop and finding out what bows will fit you. You need to know our draw length, the type of release you are going tou use, there are numerous items that go into a bow purchase. D you have any local bow clubs near you, this is a good way to find the above information and also some deals on used equipment. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Spike

Haven't been on here in a while, but thanks for the advice guys!
Any opinions on the older Bear Anarchys? I've been finding them for a good price.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally am not a fan of the Bear compounds. Fred was a traditionalist and made some very good traditional bows for a moderate to low price but I have never been impressed by any of their compounds. Just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Spike

I use a bear compound and it's nice....very accurate, 60# pull, and no issues in over 3 years. Good value bow in my opinion.
Bear Archery Authority RTH Compound Is on sale at dicks for 399....20% off...don't get nickel and dimed for extras....expensive when bought separate.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Bear has come a long way. The Agenda and Arena bows are top notch. Great grip, light weight, dead in hand, quiet, and plenty fast. The Bear haters need to shoot one before saying they are a second tier bow. And you don't have to load them up with dampeners like you do a PSE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.