Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mock Scrape Attempt Thread >

Mock Scrape Attempt Thread

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrape Attempt Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mock Scrape Attempt Thread

I never considered mock scrapes in the past until the season. My reason being, everything else that I didn't think would work in the past, I've been wrong about

I live in a high doe to buck area so never thought grunting or rattling would work.....then I had luck with both. Same with bleats. Last year I tried a doe decoy during rut and it worked textbook and got me my biggest buck ever. I'm now in the frame of mind that you never know unless you try so why not. I plan on updating the thread weekly with pics (hopefully) and information.

Put 3 scrapes in a semi circle around my tree pretty much 25 yd on each side and one in the middle. I sprayed the new scrapes with tinks power scrape and then hung a tinks dripper over each scrape filled with the power scrape starter. There is also a deer made scrape maybe 40 yd from stand that I misted as well.

10days ago I caught a nice 8, avg 8 and 4pt on my trailcam at this spot. I'm curious how and if they use the scrapes and if any others I haven't seen show up. Over the summer I had some real brutes on cam a few hundred yards away, I'd love to see one of them!

Temp Is 70 today but 50s end of week with lows around 34 by weekend so activity should pick up. I plan on hunting Friday or Saturday morning and will check cam then and update post. I'll also have a google earth pic of location to see if that matters.

I'd love to hear others input and advice on mock scrapes and lures they've used etc. thanks all, I'll update over the weekend hopefully with some pics of activity

Last edited by GPMD; 10-12-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where you are hunting but I do know in Pennsylvania the "rut" is about 4-5 weeks away. I think it's too early for rattlin', grunting and "doctoring up" mock scrapes. Just my opinion, hope it works for you.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ridge, right now is actually about the perfect time for mock scrapes. I'd just about bet them bucks in Pa are starting to spar a bit, not fighting yet but tickling antlers so to speak, and probably starting to split off a little from each other. Getting a little on the aggressive side if you will. That's when a mock scrape will start to attract some attention.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super I have to agree with Ridge on this. From my experience the robust scraping from the bigger buck won't start for another 2 weeks (right around the last week in October). Then the smaller bucks start chasing soon afterward. The bigger bucks are a bit more experienced and don't waste their energy and don't start chasing until about late the first week into the second and third weeks in November. I think it all depends on the moon phase. You will catch them cruising, covering a lot of ground at this time. I shot 5 of the 6 biggest buck in my 50 year career of bowhunting here in PA during Nov 4 - 10th.
But to answer the original posters question bigger buck don't "freshen" up their scrapes as often as you think. Many time they will just pass by on the downwind side and check if any hot doe visited it. If so, then he may come in and start to trail her.
A good tip later on - around Halloween, you can start using a drag rag. But do not drag it right to your stand! You don't want a buck walk right directly in to you. Walk past your stand with it, then come back and hang it on a limb in an open land about 6' off the ground at a comfortable shooting distance.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The big boys are absolutely making scrapes right now in Illinois.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah, I'm not doing the rattling/grunting call thing yet, just the mock scrapes. I'm in north central MD and have found a few scrapes out there so figured it was a good time. I usually don't see rut activity starting here until the end of 3rd week and 4th week of October if the weather is right. We've been warm too so I'm hoping this weekend when we dip to freezing over night might start some things up. Thanks for input all, I'll keep this updated!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure u have a licking branch or it won't work
Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I made a late season food plot, 3/4 winter rye and buck forage oats with 1/4 being antler King honey hole. Holy crap have they eaten that field up!

I also found 3 downed trees in the woods, cut them down to size and dug them in the ground in the field. I put 1 25 yards in front of my stand, then 1 to the left and right bury marked at 35 yards from the stand. Here are some pics. First 2 are early on then the last 2 are from last Thursday.

I'm happy with the turn out so far and have gotten tons of buck activity thru day and night in my field, hopefully can smack a big one from here!