Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here we go

Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Here we go

Anticipation building. Trail cam pics reviewed, stand sites selected and stands put up. Practicing shooting intensely (its an all year passion), sharpening broadheads, washing camo and going over all my equipment. Season starts Oct 3. I will likely be taking the grandson out the first day - he's 11 - under PA's mentored youth program and then focus on hunting myself during the week while he's in school.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey B, does PA still let the kids have an "excused" absence for opening day rifle?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

I believe our schools are still just closed for the thanksgiving weekend on that first monday.
-Jake
Old 09-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boca, lot of years it doesn't work out that way. 2 of my kids were still in school when we moved to PA and I was astounded as well as pleased to see that PA had such an endearing attitude towards hunting and our kids. I honestly can't remember though if it was opening day rifle or just opening day of deer season (archery) it's been 20 or so years ago. The only thing I didn't agree with was not allowing a child to actually hunt (as in taking of game) until 12 years old. That always irked me to no end. I like the new youth mentoring program that will allow the kids to actually participate now. Taking a child out in the woods and not allowing them to actually participate in the taking of game would, IMHO, bore a kid of today to death. I know it would have me.

"Yeah I sat out there freezing my gibletts off only to watch my dad shoot a deer, whoopeeee, wheres my video game now" vs. "Yes sir I was cold but I warmed up really quick when my dad said, theres you a nice fat deer, now slowly bring your rifle up, put those crosshairs right on the spot I told you, gently now, ease off that safety, settle those crosshairs, easy, easy squeeze that trigger just like we practiced, BOOM bang flop. Man I love that stuff! Who gives a dang where that video game is, pappy lets go again!"
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Shunt54 can't agree with you more!
Old 09-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh yeah - PA schools (at least in our area) have the first day of rifle deer season off. Most kids also take the second day too.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Oh yeah - PA schools (at least in our area) have the first day of rifle deer season off. Most kids also take the second day too.
LOL mine usually took that week off. (Step mom was a little miffed at that but nothing she could do about it ) Funny how the "flu" seemed to hit on opening day and last all week aint it?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

My dad used to take we up the camp for bear and the following Monday was deer so we would stay over the weekend and hunt Monday. My uncles and grandfather were always there and I always conned my dad into letting me stay to keep grandpa company for another day because everyone else was going home to go back to work.
And all but twice, maybe three times me and Pap would stay the entire week and come home Sunday morning. My mom would usually be PO'd but my Pap (her dad) usually put her in her place. The kid lives to hunt he would tell her.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not often that the boss (wife) lets me have my way when she thinks she is right (most of the time the little woman is) but when it came to me taking my kids hunting she pretty much knew she was fighting a losing battle. I don't "roar" often but when I set my foot down and let out a beller she gets reminded that I may be a big ole teddy bear but I'm still a bear