Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead sharpening (Blades or heads) How do you do it? >

Broadhead sharpening (Blades or heads) How do you do it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: Broadhead sharpening (Blades or heads) How do you do it?
I dispose of blades or heads when dull or use them for practice
16.67%
KME sharpening system
0%
Lansky sharpening system
16.67%
Work Sharp system
0%
I sharpen them by hand/eye with no fixture
25.00%
I have a homemade sharpening system
16.67%
I suck at sharpening my heads and Im looking for a tool
8.33%
I dont sharpen them, they come sharp enough
8.33%
Other
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Broadhead sharpening (Blades or heads) How do you do it?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Broadhead sharpening (Blades or heads) How do you do it?

Im starting this poll asking how you accomplish this important task since razor sharp heads are a must have for the serious bowhunter. A lot of people lack the ability to put an edge on a broadhead and it seems plenty are looking for an easy way.

3 bladed fixed heads (re. montec, hellrazoers, Wensel woodsman, ect) are pretty easy to sharpen. If you can roll a toy car on a countertop you can sharpen a 3 blade head. 4 blade can be challenging unless you can disassemble them and reduce them to 4 individual or at least 2 blades but it seems people struggle with sharpening single or two bladed heads.

Lanski and KME and worksharp systems are effective but penny pinching bowhunters done seem eager to part with their money for a quality package so they wing it, dont sharpen the heads or simply dispose of the heads/blades and buy more or they use those dull heads/blades for practice.

The Lansky package is about $40

KME's package starts at about $50

Spyderco's system is about $55

Worksharp is about $70

all the above are quality and well worth the money (especially if you struggle to keep a consistent blade angle and be able to replicate that angle)

Im thinking about creating a tool for sharpening blades/heads (for replacement blades and/or 2 blade fixed blade heads) that would be simple to use (as simple as the KME or gliding a fixed 3 bladed head on a sharpening stone without worying about blade angle), low cost and would produce a repeatable blade angle as it seems there would be a market for such a thing at a price point of less than $10. Im looking for input from bowhunters. What are your thoughts on accomplishing this task. What would you be looking for?

Last edited by DIY_guy; 09-01-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on the head I use a Lansky, a file, or replace and 'touch up' with a diamond steel.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

What are some "homemade" ways to sharpen broadheads?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

This is not what I am working on now but this is something I used to use. Bowhunters devise all sorts of tools and methods for themselves to accomplish tasks. I have. Here is what I used to do.

I like to resharpen and reuse my broadhead blades so I created the poor mans sharpening thread. I am a staff shooter and on the hunting pro staff for Ace hardware stores (kidding) and your local hardware store has everything I needed but Im working on refining a method for everyman.

I used a Window scraper. For those fixed blade, two bladed broadheads, you can use a office paper, binder clip. You can find these on your co-workers desk when they are out to lunch or at a meeting. Most likely the clip is being used for some unimportant papers anyway.

These two holders can then be used with your favorite sharpening stones. If you don't have any sharpening stones, hardware stores carry an assortment of wet/dry sandpapers that work perfectly. 400, 600 and 1000 grit works great. For best results, tape the sandpaper to a piece of sheet glass. If you dont have any glass, you can get some from old storm windows. You can get old storm windows from your neighbor's house when he is at work. To check progress and to better see knicks, dents and dings in the edge, use a sharpies marker to coat the blade edge. Here is a Rage Blade

Once you get the blades as sharp as you can, your still not done, Now you're going to want to strop or hone the blades to a razor's edge. Barbers use a leather strop to get their razors shaving sharp. If you dont have any leather, never fear. You already have a suitable substitute in your kitchen. open up an old cereal box and lay it flat. I prefer Frankenberry and Count Chocula but I've heard good things about Wheaties and corn flakes boxes. Next, coat the carboard with buffing compund (also sold at Ace)Use the stick to draw all over the cardboard.

I like the white compound for broadhead blades. Just draw on the box like your using a big crayon with the polishing compound (powdered form) suspended in the wax.

Then strop you blades backwards across the cardboard making sure to give both sides the same number of strokes.

Should you be feeling ambitious, you can make a leather strop by gluing belting leather to a wooden paddle. Here is one I made yesterday.

I rubbed one side with white rouge (fine) and emery cake (course)

Then I set about resharpening the blades from the Rage Broadhead I shot the doe with on opening day.

There are other bowhunter inspired methods. I hoped to make it easier (and less expensive)

Last edited by DIY_guy; 09-01-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use G5 montechs and Slick trick 3 blade fixed so sharpening for me is a breeze. Whenever I buy a new set of G5's (rare since they are very strong and hold up well) I give them a hone and a strap. They are sharp out of the package but not quite what I require. The slick tricks on the other hand are scary sharp right out of the package.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I use G5 montechs and Slick trick 3 blade fixed so sharpening for me is a breeze.
When did slick trick begin selling a 3 bladed head?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks man! You've helped me out tremendously! Which sandpaper grit would be the best for sharpening? 400, 600, or 1000? & why?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Razor Sharp Edgemaking System. I got it quite a few years ago. works great for broadheads and knives.

http://www.sharpeningwheels.com/index.html
Old 09-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Thanks man! You've helped me out tremendously! Which sandpaper grit would be the best for sharpening? 400, 600, or 1000? & why?
I now use diamond and ceramic but if using sandpaper it would be 600 and then 1000 grit with water.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Meant to put that 3 blade fixed behind the Montechs DYI. Woops. Brain fart moment. Happens to us old farts more than we like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.