Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!! >

Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!

I took a couple pics. The first one is where I fell after the stand broke. The second one is what happened to cause the fall.
Attached Thumbnails Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!-fall-2.jpeg   Returned To Where I fell Last Year!!!!!-fall-1.jpeg  
Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
I took a couple pics. The first one is where I fell after the stand broke. The second one is what happened to cause the fall.
Glad all turned out well...Just talked to the wife tonight about replacing 3 stands that have been out in the weather for years now. Same cable setup as yours. They will be replaced this fall....
Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always replace the cables and straps of the stands I leave out through the season. No matter how good they look. At my size, no need to test the limits! After my fall earlier this summer and wrecking myself up too much to really go hunting much this year I discovered I no bounce like I used too!!! I pretty much just splatter.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Besides replacing rusty or worn cables, my first question is why weren't you wearing a harness and a tree belt or life line?
You're fortunate to be able to still walk or be alive. A harness is a small price to pay.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, unfortunately so many of us have to learn the hard way. I was on the shelf for 9 weeks after the fall and still had quite a bit of pain for 9 months. I still have some lingering effects from the fall like numbness in my upper right leg and swelling in my lower back and upper right leg but nothing serious. The doctor said some of these symptoms may never go away or if they do they could take as long as 5 years to disappear. I know I was very lucky. I'm glad my misfortune shed some light on your situation BigTime1. Hopefully it saved you from a possible accident. This year I have checked every tree stand I have. I have replaced straps, ratchets, tree steps (they break too), and even completely removed one stand. Good luck to all out there in tree stands this year. Stay safe!!!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I was just thinking about that the other day. Amazing you came out as well as you did! Be safe all!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to know you're ok! While we're on the Safety Harness subject, does anyone have a suggestion on a good harness for a reasonable price? Looking to get one this year. The one that came with my hang-on is just not cutting it.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
Glad to know you're ok! While we're on the Safety Harness subject, does anyone have a suggestion on a good harness for a reasonable price? Looking to get one this year. The one that came with my hang-on is just not cutting it.
I use one of those Realtree Hunters Safety Systems. It's a harness made into a light vest which makes getting in and out of MUCH easier than other harnesses. No tangled up straps and such. It's not cheap but it is highly functional and comfortable to wear. Whichever harness you decide to get, get a FULL body harness. And also make sure it has the shock absorbing fall system. Lot of back injuries from falls in harnesses without those.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunters Safety System. Cost about $100. Not much when you consider your health. It comes with the harness, tree belt, climbing belt and 2 extra heavy carabiners. It also comes with an instructional DVD and a smaller strap that you can attach to the rear loop and stand on should you fall to take away the pressure from your groin and waist.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, hanging there with your pearls constricted wouldn't be what I would call fun! In my hanging stands that I leave out I also use a rope hung from a close by limb to attach onto for climbing. I use an anchor (soil use eyelet screw) to tie off the rope to the ground. That way I'm tied in when climbing and descending as well as transferring into the stand. In case of a fall, I can just come down the rope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.