Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Crossbow or Compound? >

Crossbow or Compound?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow or Compound?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow or Compound?

Hey guys, I currently have a Mission Craze compound and I am wanting to get a new bow. Should I get a good crossbow or a good compound? Wanting to spend about $1000
Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on if you want to be a bowhunter or if you want to be whatever the crossbow users call what it is they do. You no doubt enjoy bowhunting for the challenges it offers by using human powered gear that relies more on the man and his ability than the stored energy weapons that you shoulder, lower your cheek to the stock, grab the fore-stock, flip off the safety, put your finger in the trigger guard, look through the scope and then discharge the weapon feeling the recoil in your shoulder.

As for me, I would rather be a bowhunter because a bowhunter has to get away with the draw and hold with only the human power you can muster. If you have to let down because the shot is not there you have more noise and motion and then you have to draw again (now a bit fatigued from the first draw) and go through the draw cycle and hold with a real, human powered bow. That sort of challenge is what makes bowhunting what it is. Why take up crossbowing when bowhunting is there for the taking? (unless you cant use a real bow doe to physical limitations due to injury or age that keep you from bowhunting)

If you want a physical challenge of strength and form and a human powered weapon that relies more on the man than the weapon, get a real bow. If you want to do less and have the weapon do more for you and be pre-loaded/cocked and sight in once and forget about it get an xbow. For my tastes, I would rather be a bowhunter. I cant imagine walking away from and quitting bowhunting to become a crossbower.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 08-26-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I went from a compound to a crossbow. I found no advantage within 40 yards. The problem I found was it was too cumbersome to carry in the woods, especially with a climber on my back. I went back to a compound. The advantage to the crossbow (I had an Excalibur with scope) was that it was as accurate as a rifle out to 60 yards, and maybe more, but that's as far as I shot it.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would go with a good compound bow, but it's really personal preference.

Like newton29, I hunted with a crossbow for a short time. It was after I had shoulder surgery in 2007, and I can tell you from experience that there is no real advantage to shooting a crossbow, despite what people who hate them say.

Their effective range is no better than (and probably less than) a compound bow in the hands of a proficient shooter.

They're heavy; They're bulky; They're cumbersome and awkward in the stand;
They're loud on the shot so if you whiff the shot chances are everything around you is headed for the next county.

I know a lot of folks will say that it's cheating because you don't have to draw. I really don't get it. I've been picked off moving and sitting still. I've been winded and blown at so many times, but I have NEVER been busted drawing my bow. I have, on the other hand, been busted trying to turn around with that big honkin' crossbow.

The bottom line? Just get what you want to get, hunt the way you want to hunt and forget about other folks opinions on how you hunt. They're not sitting in the tree with you anyway, and it's your hunt.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

if you dont have time or want to take the time to practice, then crossbow definitely. Or do like me, get one of each lol. You can get a pretty nice used xbow nowadays for $500, do the same with a used compound and you have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted with a crossbow before, but I have shot one a time or two. IMO, nothing is challenging about shooting a crossbow. I've shot a few deer with a compound & I've missed a few deer with one as well. I love a challenge & nothing is more challenging than pulling the strings back on a bow with a deer in the vicinity, not to mention just shooting a deer period with a compound from 20 yards or so away. If it was me, I'd definitely go with the compound. Might could find a used one that is in very good shape thats less than what you're willing to spend. Nothings better than saving some money!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Spike

Yeah I agree... Big decision IMO, I am looking at a TenPoint Stealth fxr crossbow or a Mathews no cam HTR compound... I currently shoot a mission craze, will I see a difference between the no cam and the craze
Old 08-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Stick with bowhunting. Its more challenging and satisfying and rewarding. Crossbowing (or whatever those guys call what it is they do) means you have to bring less of yourself to the task if taking game. Dont be a quitter, Stick with bowhunting. THere is always time to quit bowhunting and take up the other thing when you get old and can't use a real bow.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MissionCRAZE1
Yeah I agree... Big decision IMO, I am looking at a TenPoint Stealth fxr crossbow or a Mathews no cam HTR compound... I currently shoot a mission craze, will I see a difference between the no cam and the craze
Never have shot a Mission Craze, but I did have a PSE Bruin for years & loved it, until a friend of mine was selling his Mathew's DXT for a reasonable price. I ended up buying it & man am I glad I did! The smoothest shooting bow & lightest bow I've ever held. Can't go wrong with a Mathew's, but they can get expensive. Like they say, you pay for what you get. I'd look around for a used Mathews before you go out and buy a brand spankin' new one!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Stick with bowhunting. Its more challenging and satisfying and rewarding. Crossbowing (or whatever those guys call what it is they do) means you have to bring less of yourself to the task if taking game. Dont be a quitter, Stick with bowhunting. THere is always time to quit bowhunting and take up the other thing when you get old and can't use a real bow.
That's a pretty arrogant statement. About as arrogant as what a traditional shooter says to a compound bow shooter. We as hunters need to stick together and not argue about what we use. There are several reasons why a person should get a crossbow over a compound bow or a traditional bow. Being a quitter is not one of them. One is age or the physical inability to draw and hold the bow. Another is the lack of time to practice. I personally would rather see someone hunting who sighted in their crossbow and able to make clean kill rather than flinging arrows and wounding an animal.
I have several compounds and that's what I use for hunting and have taken a lot of game with them and I can shoot them as good or better than a crossbow out to 50 yards or so. I also bought compounds for my grandchildren and daughter-in-law. But because my state requires a 35# draw weight and my grandchildren cannot yet draw that weight I purchased a crossbow for them to use under the youth mentoring program. I'll get them out and hopefully interested in taking up hunting at an early age instead of them sitting on their butts playing video games.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-27-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.