Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Crossbow or Compound? >

Crossbow or Compound?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow or Compound?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well then like I said - we all have our own opinion. I feel that every person that using an arrow to take game as long as its legal is considered a bowhunter. I just don't agree with your definition of a bowhunter and that's fine. So we'll just agree to disagree.
Thats the beauty of this. You dont have to agree with me. If I see a guy kneeling next to his deer with his bow I will congratulate him. If I see a picture of a guy kneeling next to his deer with his crossbow, I will congratulate him as well. If the guy kneeling next to his deer with the crossbow says he shot it with a "bow" and that he is a "bowhunter" I will disagree just as if he posed with any other weapon and tried to pose as a bowhunter. Both guys are no doubt good guys and hunters and my sort of folk but only one is a bowhunter.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MissionCRAZE1
Hey guys, I currently have a Mission Craze compound and I am wanting to get a new bow. Should I get a good crossbow or a good compound? Wanting to spend about $1000
You need to hit your local bow shops and shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on. You'll know when you find the one that feels right.

As far as the crossbow goes - Knock yourself out. Sure, it's a form of archery...but it ain't bowhunting.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Imagine if you will that I am going to clean and press over my head a bar with 250 pounds of weights on it. Through human effort, I have to accomplish this. Now imagine we take that bar and suspend it from the ceiling with chains about 7 feet off the ground. A person walks up under the bar, grips it, the chains let go and for a brief moment that person holds the bar before dropping it to the ground. He looks at the guy that actually lifted the weight and says: "im a weightlifter just like you" No he is not, he is a poser.

Imagine I am paddling my canoe on a lake. A jetskier pulls along side and says, "Im a canoe'r just like you. Its got a hull and carries a passenger on the water. Dont bother me with the human powered effort crap. Im a canoe'r." No, he is a poser.

Im riding my bicycle on the road climbing a steep hill and a guy on a Yamaha pulls along side and says: "Im just like you" No, he is a poser.

Im playing golf and a guy shows up with a potato cannon that fires golf balls. He wants to join our 3-some. He says: "im a golfer just like you. Dont pester me with the human powered effort crap. Call me a golfer". No, he is a poser.
I'm sorry but those are stupid analogies.

Now you imagine say - oh let's just go all the way back to the 4th century BC - when people were using crossbows for hunting, self defense and a weapon of war. Now you come along with a compound bow and everyone is in awe of its superior performance!
My point is that crossbows have been around a lot longer than compound bows and recurves for that matter. The longbow was used by English archers because of its deadly accuracy at ranges much beyond that of the lowly crossbow which was considered a short range weapon. Now by today's standards the longbow comes nowhere close to the performance of a compound.
I could go on but it would make no difference regarding your opinion. Same as you not changing mine.
And as a fellow member once said and I am really starting to like him "Shining light on a subject does no good for the blind."

I just can't wait for my 10 year old grandson or 8 year old granddaughter to shoot a deer with my crossbow and I will post it in the BOWHUNTING FORUM where it belongs.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-27-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Thats the beauty of this. You dont have to agree with me. If I see a guy kneeling next to his deer with his bow I will congratulate him. If I see a picture of a guy kneeling next to his deer with his crossbow, I will congratulate him as well. If the guy kneeling next to his deer with the crossbow says he shot it with a "bow" and that he is a "bowhunter" I will disagree just as if he posed with any other weapon and tried to pose as a bowhunter. Both guys are no doubt good guys and hunters and my sort of folk but only one is a bowhunter.
Like I said - right or wrong, that's your opinion.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sorry but those are stupid analogies.
No, they are perfect and there is no reasonable counter argument.

I just can't wait for my 10 year old grandson or 8 year old granddaughter to shoot a deer with my crossbow and I will post it in the BOWHUNTING FORUM where it belongs.
I hope they shoot a big one but it wont make them bowhunters any more than posting a picture of them with a fish and a pole makes them a bowhunter just because its posted in the bowhunting section of a forum.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
As far as the crossbow goes - Knock yourself out. Sure, it's a form of archery...but it ain't bowhunting.
Correct. Bowhunters dont care for posers. We can spot them from a mile away.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well go on thinking that because now we know that your ego gets in the way of your thinking. I can probably imagine that you shoot a bow of 70# or more too because you are so macho!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Wrong (again)

48# homemade longbow

45# Ernie root Recurve

57# Bowtech RPM 360

All human powered bows that limit me because of the weight I draw and hold. As such, they are bowhunting weapons.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well darn, that's the second time I was wrong in my life! I guess I must be slipping in my old age. But wow you are a tough guy. A 57# draw RPM360 with 80% let off. You're holding a whopping 12# at full draw! That takes a lot of physical ability.
To put it in perspective, that's not much more than the total weight of a compound crossbow.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Yup and all the bows are drawn with human power at the time I attempt a shot on game (bowhunting) I draw back 57 pounds (crossbowers like to focus on the holding weight and try to forget the peak draw weight has to be reached to take advantage of any letoff)

The trad bows (also human powered at the time of the shot attempt) get no benefit of let off which is why you didnt mention them.

None of them are held for me. I dont shoulder a stored energy weapon is cocked, lower my cheek to the stock, grab the fore-stock, flip off the safety, put my finger in the trigger guard, look through the scope and then discharge the weapon feeling the recoil in my shoulder. (not bowhunting)

Again, nothing wrong with crossbowing. Im sure that sort enjoys what they do. Its just not bowhunting. Its very close to bowhunting but since words mean things, we dont call gun hunter bowhunters and we dont call fishermen bowhunters and we dont call guys bowhunters if they use a camera but still do almost everything a bowhunter does. There are bowhunters and crossbow hunters. Bowhunters do more to make a kill. Crossbowers do less. Not a nock on them. They are just not bowhunters.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 08-27-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.