Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shots

Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Based on my personal experience, I will never intentionally shoot a deer in the neck with a bow. Last year, I had a big 10 pointer 25 yards away broadside. Took the shot, arrow hit the tiniest of branches about 5 feet in front of the deer and my arrow stuck him right in the middle of the neck. The arrrow was sticking out of its neck aobut 10 inches on both sides. He ran off maybe 30 yards, stopped and looked back, then took off again. I waited about 5 hours to go look. Went to where the deer stopped and looked back, and found a few small drops of blood. I continued down the path it went and never found another drop of blood. If you catch the main artery in the neck, or the windpipe, it can be a quick kill, but the margin for error is much too small. In my opinion, not worht the risk.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Canuck_2
Heart/lung. Broadheads kill by hemorrhaging, which means hitting where there will be lots of bleeding. Neck shots can work but are risky at best.

And just to add a bit of fuel to the fire (just for fun) regarding 5 yard shots - how many bow hunters really know what pin to use and where the point of impact will be?
40 yard pin is my guess. For the record I stay away from neck shots.