Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My 2015 new gear, new year season journal >

My 2015 new gear, new year season journal

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 2015 new gear, new year season journal

Old 09-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

2nd weekend hunt of the archery season and the bow is still functioning just fine.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

I drove up state early Friday for weekend 2 of the archery deer season. The plan was to sit the apple tree stand Friday afternoon. Here is a brief video for Friday afternoon, Sat morning and Saturday Afternoon.

Then its onto Sunday morning. Here is the video.

25 minutes after sending an arrow though the quartering away doe, I climb down to collect my arrow.

The flow is strong right from the start.

The last stand before the wobble only 50 yards from where it began.

Entrance. Back of the scapula

Exit, Right above the elbow and through the top of the heart and both lungs.

A very bloody nose.

Total run time from arrow impact to the crash was about 8 seconds. Two sits over the weekend had deer bedding under my stand. All were down wind of my location. The buck bedded with his rear facing the wind. The two does bedded facing into the wind. Having deer bed so close and staying so long is a bit more exhausting than when no deer are present. You cant get away with much but they will alert you to everything going on if you watch them and their ears. Also when one deer sneezes, the other deer freaks out. LOL

Two weekends of the season complete and two deer in the freezer.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

The whole reason for this endeavor.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Im loving these slick tricks. They are robust. Ive shot two does with the same head. They resharpen easy. I used my 3D printer to create a honing guide/jig. Here are some pics of an out-of-the-package blade and one I resharpened after killing some deer.

Out-of-package blade

Twice used blade (still has a bit of dried blood on it) after resharpening.

New blade

Resharpened blade after killing two deer

New blade

After resharpening

Ready for deer #3. Im pleased with them thus far.

A short video of the two blades side by side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITx...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

A wedding this weekend instead of bowhunting.

The reason for the season. Everything out of our garden and out of the woods. Ven. Stew for supper.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

No hunting last weekend. Family Wedding instead.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

A weekend of rain and a family wedding meant I could only hunt Sunday morning. Here are some videos of that morning sit.

I saw this youngling walking down into a bedding area and used the small can call . He came running to me from 80 yards out. He got a free pass so he can get a few more years under his belt.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

I took a few weeks of vacation to do some rut bowhunting. I saw a lot of deer and passed a many bucks and does. It was an enjoyable time. Towards the tail end of the trip the farmer who land I hunt said he wanted a deer and if I had the chance to shoot one for him I should.

The final hunt for me was the morning of Nov. 11. At 8:30 in the morning I shot a buck with my slick trick magnum broadhead. Im only shooting 57 pounds and the buck was 30 yards away and 30 feet below me. The arrow entered as shown below.

I didnt notice a hole in the hide on the far side and the arrow broke on impact or when the deer moved both legs. It broke about 4 inches from the insert. The buck expired quickly due to both lungs being perforated. Then I deboned the deer and found the slick trick and arrow.

The broadhead smashed the far side leg bone right above the elbow. The broadhead was in great shape. The blades were not really that dull.

A little time spent with the Stay Sharp sharpener and its ready to kill another deer. This is the third deer I killed this year with the slick trick magnum. Im pleased with the price, the flight, The damage they do and the durability.

Now I will return this deer, cut and wrapped to the farmer.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have the deer processed and this year I opted to pre-make the bacon wrapped loins. IN the past I would freeze loins whole by wrapping with cling wrap and then paper and then thaw and wrap with bacon before cooking. This year I decided to pre-wrap them and use vacuum sealer bags instead. I wrapped them and froze them before using the sealer so they would hold their shape under the rigors of the vacuum. Now it’s just thaw and cook.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 11-25-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

To cook these, allow them to get to room temperature (never cook cold meat)

1. Preheat your oven to 425 F
2. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet (or use olive oil). Get the pan very hot but down brown or burn the butter.
3. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper (other whatever you like)
4. Sear both sides in the butter. 2 minutes on each side.
5. Place fillets in baking safe dish and place in 425 F oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. After 5 to 7 minutes, check internal temp of the meat (with a probe) for doneness. Rare meat is 120–125 degrees, medium is 140–150 degrees.
7. Remove from oven, wrap in foil and let rest for no less than 5 minutes. Save the juices in the pan.
8. Serve and pour juices from pan over the meat.
9. Remember the hunt where you took this deer as you enjoy it.