Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead Showdown... Nap Spitfire Maxx or Grim Reaper >

Broadhead Showdown... Nap Spitfire Maxx or Grim Reaper

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Showdown... Nap Spitfire Maxx or Grim Reaper

Old 07-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Broadhead Showdown... Nap Spitfire Maxx or Grim Reaper

Which broadhead is better for whitetail deer penetration. I shoot a mossion craze, 26 draw 60-65#
Old 07-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Those two heads are pretty similar in design and function. I'd be willing to bet any difference in penetration would be negligible.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I am a Spitfire fan....they are deadly!!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used a spitfire but have harvested deer with Grim Reapers. What really stood out was the wound it inflicted on a double lung shot. The penetration was good enough. Not sure if you planning on shooting bigger game than deer, I have no experience with either in that category.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As cjclemens said above, they are very similar in design. I used to shoot Grim Reapers and to be honest, I'd still be shooting them if they came with really sharp blades.

If I had to decide between the two I'd start by figuring out which one has sharper blades.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't think of it at the time, but the Wasp Jakhammer is another good one to consider, if you like that particular style of broadhead. They do use an O-Ring for retention. Some might consider that old-fashioned, but they way they use it is foolproof and reliable. The other thing you should know about Jakhammers is that they use a stainless trocar tip that's harder than hammered hell and they also use blades that are noticeably thicker than the other brands. Spitfires and Grim Reapers are good broadheads, but the Wasp is another serious contender in that category, and often overlooked.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Neither are likely penetrate very well IMO.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Neither are likely penetrate very well IMO.
I would agree.
For one, you are losing energy just by having a mechanical, since some energy has to be used to deploy the blades. Then you are adding surface area with a 3 blade design.

If you want a mechanical I would stick with a 2 blade design, and if penetration is is your focus go with a fixed blade.