Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
chaparral compound bow >

chaparral compound bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chaparral compound bow

Old 07-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default chaparral compound bow

anyone know any thing about this bow?.i've been searching for info on it,since i bought it in a yard sale.i've taken it to someone who knows bows.but all i got out of him.is that the string is good to go for use.

amf archery division
amf incorporated
made in usa
licensed under allen
patent no. 3,486,495
chaparral compound bow
Attached Thumbnails chaparral compound bow-847ef7593b83cb60c5e76e7c84ee502a.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Made by Wing Archery, early to mid 70's. Wing went out of business decades ago. Maybe late 70's. Probably about 18-20% letoff. Steel cables and Dacron string for sure. Value? Not much--$25 if you're lucky. You can probably shoot it, but don't expect much performance over a recurve bow.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt it would perform better than my 65# re-curve. And yeah Wing went out of business in 78 I think. They couldn't keep up with Bear and most of their compound setups were pure junk. Pulleys coming off the limbs at full draw (painful to say the least), limb tips breaking off, risers cracking from stress. They used extremely inferior woods and just sorry all around craftsmanship.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default owned a chaparral since about 1979

Bought my 65 pound chaparral in 78 or 79, put an 8 arrow quiver on it, hunted, and killed a deer with it. Been a good bow. Very nice wood work, ellipticals are still in great condition. The plastic on part of the after market quiver has since crumbled away, like an old vinyl album. Not sure if I can even find a replacement for it. Went to a new range tonight, with the wife, where she tried out her new Samick recurve breakdown. The range manager loved my chaparral, it's workmanship, and he shot it, then asked to shoot some more. He loved the bow. I may one day upgrade, especially if I can't find a replacement piece for the quiver, at which point this bow will over the fireplace. Great bow!
Pictures upon request..

Last edited by BryceCanyon; 12-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Spike

thanks for the info..i'll finally be going into town to buy arrows for it.yeah,i know.it's about time.lol