Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tree stand question >

tree stand question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand question

Old 06-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Spike

Default tree stand question

After years of hunting from the ground I think I am ready for a tree stand. I am looking for a climbing stand under 300 dollars. I will buy it NEW from cabellas. Anybody have any recommendations? It needs to be bow hunting compatible, meaning that it needs to be roomy enough for me to stand up and use a bow.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

My vote is for the summit viper
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

gringer, while the viper is a great treestand, it's not that great for a bowhunter. That rail in the front gets in the way of several down-angle shots. And he said UNDER 300 at Cabela's LOL It's 299.99+ tax

If you are determined to go to Cabela's then this one will meet all of your requirements. It's light, open front, comfortable looking, and well into your price range. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...F104650380.uts

Last edited by super_hunt54; 06-07-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have owned and hunted from both of those stands and while I do agree that the rail has potential to be an issue with a really close shot, It has never been an issue for me after close to 20 years of hunting from a viper. I either shoot before the deer gets that close or after it has moved away a little. And they ease of climbing with sit down stand up method versus using you arms with the open front style far out ways any clearance issue with the shooting rail. Plus I feel way, way safer in the one with rail as opposed to the open front stand.As far as the price goes I had not realized the price was that high at cabelas as the viper could be found locally for 250 or so.But as always just my opinion but it is based on been there done that experience.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I own a few summits myself. Being a bowhunter for many years with both compound as well as re-curve I found out the hard way about the rail more than once. Like not being able to get standing because ole ghost deer just suddenly popped outta nowhere!

coongitter, you need to practice sitting down shooting a lot as well. There are times that a whitetail will just suddenly be there like a ghost and you wont have the opportunity to stand. I've got a few trees in my yard that I climb up and practice from often in every position I can think of. Had a friend that thought I was plumb nuts for doing that until he saw me shoot a doe while dang near laying out sideways around my tree to get the shot off. She came in exactly backwards from what she usually did! I put my harness to use and let it support me while hanging out.

It does help to have a loving wife that will pull and send your arrows up
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coongitter
After years of hunting from the ground I think I am ready for a tree stand. I am looking for a climbing stand under 300 dollars. I will buy it NEW from cabellas. Anybody have any recommendations? It needs to be bow hunting compatible, meaning that it needs to be roomy enough for me to stand up and use a bow.

I've had a Summit Viper for along time too. That would be my choice as well.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
I have owned and hunted from both of those stands and while I do agree that the rail has potential to be an issue with a really close shot, It has never been an issue for me after close to 20 years of hunting from a viper. I either shoot before the deer gets that close or after it has moved away a little. And they ease of climbing with sit down stand up method versus using you arms with the open front style far out ways any clearance issue with the shooting rail. Plus I feel way, way safer in the one with rail as opposed to the open front stand.As far as the price goes I had not realized the price was that high at cabelas as the viper could be found locally for 250 or so.But as always just my opinion but it is based on been there done that experience.
This may be your opinion, but one I share. While the front rail may get in the way for a close up shot I think the added security it adds far outways the possible lost shot, if it ever arises. If you set the seat height right you can keep the rail at about knee height wile sitting. Then when standing you can touch a knee to the rail, letting you know just where you are on the stand. Pretty handy on a windy day.

Then there's the issue of comfort. The Viper is designed that the rail can actually used as an arm rest, taking the weight of the arms off the back and shoulders. This can mean that you can spend more time in the stand, increasing your odds of being there when a deer comes along. I've spent as much as 13 hours in my Viper and didn't feel totally wasted at the end of the day. I won't even say how much sleep I get.

Also as mentioned, the idea of sit down/stand up climbing allows you to climb not only more safely, but able to control the foot portion and climbing more quiet I've climbed down a tree with another hunter 35 yards away and he never heard me climbing. I never hurry.

When sitting you can even lay the bow across the rail and move less to get your bow if need be. It's right there in front of you.

So for comfort and comfort I'll take that rail any day. I've lived through the days since Baker treestands were the vogue (40 years ago) and can say treestands have come a long way----along with the manditory use of my trusty full harness. Don't leave home without it.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

The way you describe how you set your stand roughly knee high is exactly how I set mine for bow hunting also. And like you said ,being able to touch your leg to the rail while your standing lets you know exactly where you are. And in gun season I set the rail a few inches higher that way I can use it as a rest while sitting and also can snuggle down in the seat portion and get some really good nap time in when the hunting is slow!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
The way you describe how you set your stand roughly knee high is exactly how I set mine for bow hunting also. And like you said ,being able to touch your leg to the rail while your standing lets you know exactly where you are. And in gun season I set the rail a few inches higher that way I can use it as a rest while sitting and also can snuggle down in the seat portion and get some really good nap time in when the hunting is slow!
Yep, for gun season I just make the seat straps longer like you do. I used mine some years ago in Illinois (bow hunting). 13 hours a day and I swear I got more sleep in the stand than I did at the motel. I've had several stands over the years without the rail, but I've gotten wiser as time passed. The chances of seeing a deer diminish if taking a nap, but there's no chance at all if laying in the truck.