Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target panic

Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Target panic

I think this is the proper term for my problem-I tend to grab the bow while aiming and punch the release causing some less than desireable shots. Question is do I go to a back tension release and try to work thru it that way or use my current release and shoot lots of closed eye reps? If so how long should I plan to shoot before I go to shooting targets?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that it will begin with a mental regime before physical. Reason being.
What is your archery experience up to this point?
Do you gorilla grip the grip or just gently grasp/cradle it prior to shot?
Are you fresh for the day or trying to shoot after a hard days work and just beat?
What release are you currently using?
Set up a video camera and video yourself during a shooting session and watch it afterwards. You will find out exactly what you are doing during the shot.
Set up a shot sequence. My old shooting coach had me set up with a 9 step process.
1. Hand into wrist strap. Relax.
2. Nock arrow. Relax.
3. Place release on D-loop. Relax.
4. Lift bow arm. Relax.
5. Draw with open hand. Let bow find natural pocket in hand and stop with release hand knuckle locked onto right ear lobe behind jaw bone. Relax.
6. Settle string on tip of nose while focusing on target thru peep sight. Relax
7. Remove trigger finger from behind release trigger and begin to settle on trigger while applying pressure for shot. Relax.
8. Settle finger on trigger in crease of the 1st knuckle, not the pad. Relax.
9. Settle pin on target while continuing to apply pressure on trigger as it floats onto/across the target for a surprise release/trigger break. Let bow flow out of hand allowing the wrist strap to capture the bow upon release.

Last edited by SecondChance; 03-06-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I wish I could help you with the solution but I can sympathize with your problem. I have been struggling with target panic for years.Last year I bought a back tension release and shot better than I have for a long, long time. Not saying its a permanent fix but sure has helped. After shooting with it for a few months I seem to do better if I switch it up every once in a while and go back and forth between my back tension release and my trigger release. Not sure if that makes any sense but that's whats helping me right now
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

I went through the same thing last year and was able to work through it. As you are aware it is a mental thing that some way gets to us. I first started off by going out and just setting down I would close my eyes and picture how I wanted to shoot my bow. I would say to myself raise bow, draw and anchor, hold, aim, hold and release. I would repeat this four or five times to my self. I then took my release and hooked it to my string and duck taped it close so that it would not fire. I would put my release on and go to my target and stand 20 to 30 yards out. I would then draw my bow, aim and hold for a count of three. I would then touch my trigger with the bow not firing. The first thing I noticed when touching the trigger was I would jerk. After doing this everyday for about a week I was able to fix the problem. Every once in a while I would tape the release down and go through the steps just to help re-enforce things. So far so good, hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The panic might come in...

when you realize you spent a ton of money on the physical bow and accessories, and you can't buy anything that will compensate you the real target panic, all mental.
Calmness isn't purchased with a credit card.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Punching" is 100% mental. There is absolutely nothing on the market (that's feasible to hunt with) that will help you get over it. The ONLY thing you can do is to work on your form and work through your problem. Back Tension releases are useless in the woods since they are one of the types of "surprise" releases. So if you are wanting to actually solve your problem, then you need to solve it with the equipment that you will actually be hunting with.

One easy way is setting your release to a hair trigger setting. I'm talking just blow on it and it's off to the races setting. Keep not only your bow hand but your release hand open as well (if you are using a wrist strap release). This helps more than you would realize. Hand open, trigger finger behind the trigger, thumb touching just to the back of your neck, settle pin on target, lift finger to trigger, relax hand letting the strap and thumb take all pressure, trigger release.

Try that, if you do it exactly as I said, you will find your "punching" will be greatly reduced if not completely gone. Both my boys had this same problem and this little trick worked perfectly for them. Of course my perfect huntress daughter never had issue 1 with a bow (little minx) dang girl was born with a bow in her hand. Wife said it made labor a bit on the difficult side
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

That's kinda amazing just because I read somewhere that you should tighten your trigger so it wouldn't go off by touching it. You would need to use your big muscles to pull back thru it. Another example of if you read long enough you can read what ever you want to. I do thank you for the input. Right now I am trying the hard trigger and shooting with my eyes closed to feel the proper form. Don't know if it will work but if I give up on it I'll go to the hair trigger. Always fun to tinker with things.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main problem with punching is that you are USING your "big muscles". Therein lies the problem. You are giving yourself time to "panic" so to speak. The thing with hair triggering is the fact that it's so quick you don't have time to punch or pull. With the thumb on the back of your neck and hand relaxed, you can feel if you are creeping forward or pulling back. This little bit of extra sensory input will help your form become more repeatable.