Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wasp jak-hammer

Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default wasp jak-hammer

Has anyone used these and how did they perform?

I like the looks of them the blades look thicker then most sort of like swhackers...

I have shot swhackers for a few years a really like them 6 for 6 on deer so far.. But have always wanted to try a three blade mech..
Old 11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 for 6 with swhackers. Why mess with a good thing?

HJ
Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have some that I haven't had a chance to try out yet. From the research I've done, they are some of the most overlooked/underrated broadheads made.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2363978

That being said, if you're 6 for 6 on deer with Swhackers, is there really a need to switch it up?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 100% lifetime success rate with simple fixed broadheads assuming I did my part.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
6 for 6 with swhackers. Why mess with a good thing?

HJ
sort of what I am thinking, but at times it's hard not to wonder how another head will perform. I mean I shot muzzy for almost 20 years with few issues..
Old 11-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
sort of what I am thinking, but at times it's hard not to wonder how another head will perform. I mean I shot muzzy for almost 20 years with few issues..
I have seen the aluminum body break on a muzzy but it did still penetrate straight through the shoulder in the process and killed the deer in short order.

My problem with the swhacker design is the entrance wound and lack of penetration. If you don't get a pass through you end up with a single 1 inch slice.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I have seen the aluminum body break on a muzzy but it did still penetrate straight through the shoulder in the process and killed the deer in short order.

My problem with the swhacker design is the entrance wound and lack of penetration. If you don't get a pass through you end up with a single 1 inch slice.
out of the six deer with swhackers I have had one not pass through and that deer was shot quartering to me the arrow ended up in his guts .. The only issue I ever had with muzzy was lack of a good blood trail at times..

Last edited by ojibwa; 11-28-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
out of the six deer with swhackers I have had one not pass through and that deer was shot quartering to me the arrow ended up in his guts .. The only issue I ever had with muzzy was lack of a good blood trail at times..
As long as your hitting them broadside in the ribs everything should pass through and even the $10 allen broadheads from walmart would probably work just fine.

To me there is only one obstacle in a deers vitals and that is the shoulder bone so I use broadheads that are the most likely to defeat that obstacle.

The only other WELL HIT deer Ive ever had blood trail problem with was a doe that was standing awkwardly when I shot her right through both lungs but what happened is when she moved her legs back into normal position it pulled her hide over the hole in the ribs so that the hole in the ribs no longer lined up with the hole in the hide. She filled up with blood and went down within 50 yards but there wasn't any blood.

Some times the chest cavity has to fill before the blood poors out but I have just never really had any problem with simple fixed head given I hit the deer well.

Last edited by rockport; 11-28-2014 at 12:39 PM.