Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So close

Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default So close

So much for no rain today! But wouldn't have missed this morning in the woods for nothing. I felt the first couple drops and mumbled to myself. Then it stared to come down pretty good. I was about to pack it in when I saw a deer trotting up through the thick brush. I was a small buck - looked like a 5 point. I grabbed my bow off the hook and seconds later here came two more. One a nice, looked to be, 8 point and another a really good 8 point - maybe more. They went right past me and disappeared in all the young saplings. I grunted a couple times and the 2 bigger boys came back down. But they would not commit. After hanging around for about 15 mins or so they started to walk back up. I grunted again and same thing. This cat and mouse game went on for over an hour until they finally had enough and couldn't see the "buck" that was making all the noise. They eased back up the mountain. I waited about 1/2 hour and sneaked out - soaked to the skin. My bare hand felt like it was frozen to the bow's grip holding it that long. The big one actually got within 25 yards of me but it was so thick that there was no chance for a clean shot. And he was too nice to wound and lose so taking a chance never crossed my mind. Either a clean shot or nothing.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Man thats never good, Ive had alot of trouble with brush in my way this year. Ive had to let some good deer walk due to it.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Bronko, that's what bow hunting is all about for me though. That rush when they get in close and you're afraid to move an inch waiting for the right shot. Sounds like you had an intense morning!
-Jake
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a huge 10 point at 11 yards and broadside to me in Sept. Couldn't shoot because of tree branches between us. His smaller racked brother was about 35 yards away waiting impatiently for the big one to follow him and spotted me drawing when the big one was stepping into the open. Never saw him again ... but hope to!

Friday night, I thought I was going to get a second chance when a really big buck came in that I thought was the 10 - it was an equally impressive 8 point that approached my stand from every angle without offering a shot. I must have clipped into my string loop 6 or 7 times and then unhooked in order to bleat or grunt at him. When it looked like I was FINALLY gonna get a shot ... my arrow came off the string from all the hook ups and fell to the ground! Incredibly, he kept coming AND I was able to nock another arrow undetected. However, he DID see me clip into the string loop! I'm hoping to see him again too.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had to let a 160ish walk right by me yesterday morning because I couldn't get him out of the brush....still fun though.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sure sounded like a fun day in the woods. Some of my best Hunts were in the rain. Something about rain makes Deer move. Good story.

HJ