Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mechanical BH question. >

Mechanical BH question.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical BH question.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mechanical BH question.

Some of you may have seen my thread in the white tail section of the forum. I shot my first ever deer last night with archery equipment. I was using my new Wicked Ridge crossbow and Grimm Reaper mechanical BH's. I assumed the BH didn't open because it was closed when I found it after a pass through shot. According to their website it is common for the blades to close. They say the inertia from the bolt slowing down so much on exit will cause the blades to slam shut. Do you guys see this much at all? It seems like a bolt would have to stop very fast in order to close the head back up, especially given how for they actually open.

I had my daughter with me when I shot and we had to leave so I went back for the deer this morning. Coyotes had started scavaging on it so I was not able to see the entrance wound. I didn't really pay attention to the exit wound because of the damage and I had my mind made up it didn't open.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I assumed the BH didn't open because it was closed when I found it after a pass through shot. According to their website it is common for the blades to close. They say the inertia from the bolt slowing down so much on exit will cause the blades to slam shut. Do you guys see this much at all?
It is very common to see this and for precisely the reason stated on their website. Had a block target once that would stop my arrows but the tip of the arrow would poke about 6 inches out the backside of it. Fold from the front style mech heads would always be closed when I went to retrieved the arrow. A piece of paper taped to the target would reveal that they had indeed opened.

99.99999999 percent of the "IT DIDN"T OPEN" stories on the internet are utter horse pucky.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

That makes sense, I just figures sense it was a pass through that it was not slowed down that quickly. It does make me feel a little better though, knowing it likely opened.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you screw the GR on correctly, by not misaligning the collar beneath the blades, it is impossible for the GR's not to open. They are held closed by a spring, open upon ANY resistance, hide, paper etc.. I always find them closed unless buried in the dirt. I have taken an arrow with the GR on it and pushed it through a piece of paper and it opens with the slight resistance of just that to open.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I can assure you that it opened, unless you glued it shut. It takes zero effort to make those blades snap back shut after a pass through.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

iv'e never had a gr not open, how was the blood trail that will usually tell you what kind of hit it was. i guess i never gave it a thought but could you really get a pass thru with the blades not open ?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
could you really get a pass thru with the blades not open ?
I wouldn't think so. When I was younger I shot a coyote at 15 yards with a 70 pound bow and a field tipped arrow because I didn't want to waste one of my broadheads.To my surprise a perfect double lung shot resulted in a coyote running off with my arrow sticking out both sides and was never recovered. Never did that again!