Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow >

New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Spike

Default New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow

We developed a new arrow that has deploying blades inside the arrow shaft... We are interested in what everyone thinks about them. Any questions/thoughts/concerns would really help us in developing this new arrow further! The name of them is Slash Arrows.
Attached Thumbnails New Arrows with Deploying Blades inside the Arrow-slash-arrow.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is an unnecessary gimmick bound to make something go wrong.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like that is a heck of a lot of weight on the end. I'm not sure how you would balance that out with spine and get enough penetration with that much cutting surface.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Spike

The FOC is around 12 to 14% so there is a little more forward weight than normal (normal is from 0 to 12% as I understand)... However, lots of research has shown the heavier the arrow and higher FOC, the greater penetration... Here is a good article on that and the guys shooting elephants and cape buffalo with 1000 gr arrows and up to 30% FOC...

http://arrowtrademagazine.com/articl...BigBigGame.pdf

The blades begin opening on impact and fully deploy inside the animal. The exit wound is nothing short of amazing. Bows with 55 to 80 pound draw were tested and we have confirmed pass throughs all the way down to 60 (no one with a 55 has yet to shoot a deer to this point but our gel and target tests show it is more than capable of pass through)... They are also very durable... I had an axis doe duck when I shot at 30 yards and arrow hit underneath her spine... completely cut spine in half and dropped her. I found it 20 yards behind her and used again for a hog later that trip...

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Seems like that is a heck of a lot of weight on the end. I'm not sure how you would balance that out with spine and get enough penetration with that much cutting surface.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand how it is logical to sacrifice penetration by adding overkill cutting surface.

Penetration is far more important than cutting surface but yet the industry keeps heading in the opposite direction.

Just looks cooler I guess.

It seems like it would be far more productive to design a head that would pass through shoulder blades( you know the bones designed to protect the vitals) not the opposite.

There is really only one problem in the vitals of a deer and that is bone and for some reason the industry keeps making broadheads less and less likely to defeat that problem.

Last edited by rockport; 10-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Ditto! Very interesting though. I'd like to see the arrow fly since it is rather heavier than a normal arrow. I'd hate to pay a fortune for them and accidentally lose some while practicing. We'll see if it grows in the industry.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be concerned about the durability of an arrow with cut-outs in the shaft.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Spike

Illegal in Ohio...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure I see the advantage to this at all. I deal with engineers a lot and when they're not busy re-inventing the wheel, they're coming up with all kinds of solutions to problems that don't exist. This right here is a classic example.

BTW, ideal FOC depends on the setup. 10% is good. Under 8%, and arrows start to fly funny. Unfortunately, no amount of FOC will compensate for the loss of penetration that those gigantic blades will undoubtedly cause.

Lets also not forget that, for $150, you can get a dozen brand new GoldTip arrows of any flavor and one or two packs of broadheads, depending on which one you choose.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting idea, here's my initial thoughts:
- With enough "oomph" behind it, devastating on the animal
- Looks like the shaft isn't round where the blades are, doesn't that mess with the aerodynamics of the arrow
- Arrow length, can't cut off the front end and cutting off the back means new nock inserts, so how do you deal with people wanting different length arrows?
- Is the leading fixed blade head attached or can I take it off and use whatever head I want? If so, I could put a rage, or other mechanical on the front and effectively have a double mechanical?

Someone said illegal in their state. I'd have to check my states rules, but curious what's in the rules that makes it illegal.

Basically you've taken the advantages of a fixed blade and POSSIBLE made them do more damage for more blood, which is good.

You've taken the advantages of a mechanical and wiped them out by putting a fixed blade on the front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.