Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I need advice on broadheads >

I need advice on broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need advice on broadheads

Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I use the Magnus Snuffers. Easy to sharpen and free lifetime replacement.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Spike

I may be the only guy who likes mechanicals....I LOVE the spitfire 100's....I have had devastating results on deer....shot muzzys for years and liked them....just decided the mechanicals are best for me....everyone has a preference!!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mj1967
I may be the only guy who likes mechanicals....I LOVE the spitfire 100's....I have had devastating results on deer....shot muzzys for years and liked them....just decided the mechanicals are best for me....everyone has a preference!!
Tons of people love mechanicals. Every time a new bow hunter ask me about broadheads I say keep it simple and get proven simple fixed heads and probably 80% ignore me and end up with mechanicals.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
Tons of people love mechanicals. Every time a new bow hunter ask me about broadheads I say keep it simple and get proven simple fixed heads and probably 80% ignore me and end up with mechanicals.
Agreed. I loved my mechanicals when I used them (spitfires, rage, steelhead) that is until they did not perform as designed ie blades broke on rib cage, (spitfire) did not open, (rage, 2x). Actually I have nothing negative to say about the steelheads, but I simply decided that relying on something to work a certain way, but it might not, isn't worth it for the animal or the short hunting season.
Fixed blades don't need to open, thus there is no worry that they won't.
I was younger then and thought by getting the "newest, most advertised" out there that it would help my hunting. It didn't.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handles II
Agreed. I loved my mechanicals when I used them (spitfires, rage, steelhead) that is until they did not perform as designed ie blades broke on rib cage, (spitfire) did not open, (rage, 2x). Actually I have nothing negative to say about the steelheads, but I simply decided that relying on something to work a certain way, but it might not, isn't worth it for the animal or the short hunting season.
Fixed blades don't need to open, thus there is no worry that they won't.
I was younger then and thought by getting the "newest, most advertised" out there that it would help my hunting. It didn't.
That sounds about right. When it comes to mechanics its just a matter of time. Not if they will fail but when.

Last edited by rockport; 09-30-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
What do you think of fixed 2 blades?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
What do you think of fixed 2 blades?
Never tried them. I would think they would be ideal for penetration. Maybe for bigger animals

Last edited by rockport; 10-01-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Spike

I prefer fixed. I've never used mechanicals, but from what I've seen in the store, replacement blades cost nearly as much as buying new broadheads. Also, I'm worried that one of the mechanical blades could break off in the animal. How would you find that thin little blade to remove? Or worse yet, slice your hand open while cleaning the animal. I shoot Montec G5 Fixed blades, 100gr.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Spike

I'm currently using NAP Spitfire Maxx mechanical but think I may switch to a fixed blade because I feel like I have to keep buying replacement blades which add up over time. With a fixed blade, it's one solid break that i would imagine you can keep using over and over again as long as it's sharp.