Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage Hypodermic vs Steelforce Phat Head >

Rage Hypodermic vs Steelforce Phat Head

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Hypodermic vs Steelforce Phat Head

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default Rage Hypodermic vs Steelforce Phat Head

I've narrowed down my choice of broadheads this year to the Rage Hypodermic and the Steelforce Phat Head...of these two I'm looking for opinions on which is a better choice. I had used the classic Rages in the past but was disappointed in reliability, durability and sharpness. But I just read somewhere that these problems have been corrected with the updated Hypodermic? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

When Rage first came out I heard time and time again how great they were from people on the forums. Like a fool I bought some and had issues with them every time. I went back to the company site and found that what the people were saying on the forums was exactly the same thing on their site. I almost believe now that the ones on the forums work for the company. If you had problems with Rage before, why would you go back and throw good money after bad? I personally stick with 3 blade Muzzys and don't have any problems at all with them and won't switch anytime in the foreseeable future.

So, I would say my advice to you is make your own decision based upon what you think and don't listen to what others say.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like AF, I remember all the fanboys on here back then as well. Although there were a few that changed their tune once they used them in the field. I tried out a mechanical head once (actually a hybrid) but after having not so stellar results, went back to the tried and true Muzzys and Thunderheads.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would not recommend the Rage for light poundage bows simply because of the energy required to achieve a pass thru. IMO the hypodermics appear to be a better design as far as penetration is concerned. I shoot the Rage with my PSE DNA at 65# because it has plenty of KE to easily pass thru a broadside or slightly quartering deer. Bigger animals like elk or moose or big bears I would use a strong fixed blade.
My daughter-in-law shoots a Martin set at 40# and I have her shooting Muzzy Phantoms. Another great fixed blade for lower poundage bows is the Slick Trick Viper Trick.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

all I can say about rage is... I have two buddies who are whitetail outfitters and they hate rage broad heads and will not allow them on their properties.....

on the other hand they both love Swhackers...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

If those are the two choices you have narrowed it down to, I would go with the Steelforce Phathead. I have used mechanicals with great success, but fixed blades are simplyone less thing to worry about. I actually had to go to the website and look through the selection at Steelforce and I am impressed.

IMHO, you have tried the Rage. Now try Steelforce and report back to us on flight, accuracy compared to field points, penetration, devastation, blood trail, etc... Give us a complete review so others who are also considering a change have a real world result to go from.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 125gr Phathead TT steel. They are one tuff head at .080 thickness. With my setup 70lb Elite Answer, Easton FMJ arrows with the Phathead 505 gr total arrow weight they blow thru deer. They fly great but are only a 1 inch cut . Your blood trails will be better with the Rage but the Phathead is a GREAT STRONG head. You can also send them back to Steelforce and they will re-sharping them for free. Use the Phathead, you will be happy with them. Good Luck.

Hatchet Jack