Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The Frustration, Please Help! >

The Frustration, Please Help!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Frustration, Please Help!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Spike

Default The Frustration, Please Help!

Can some of you please give me tips on how to sight in our bows!? I feel like my boyfriend and I are not getting anything accomplished!! Also, he is looking over his glasses and into the peep sight. Any tips to get him to stop? Thank you in advance!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

when sighting in remember to chase your arrow with your sights, use gang adjustments to get close (move the whole sight) then adjust individual pins.. if your hitting high and right, move your sights up and to the right... a little goes along way.... as far as looking over his glasses, practice practice practice and if that doesnt work try a peepless system such as sabo or IQ( or maybe a bigger peep) ... research and practice good archery form first and formost, bad form makes good shooters bad!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your Boyfriend is looking over His glasses then thru the peep sight the point of impact is going to be off and hard to adjust,You need to be Consistant and Repetative each time to be accurate!I would also reccomend reading up on adjusting Your Bow or taking it to a Reputable Bow Shop for more Professional help on moving any sights or rest and proper shooting techniques!

P.S.

ArkansasMountainMan has some great info there....!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 08-09-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'd definitely take it to a pro shop if you haven't already. They'll paper tune your bow for you, otherwise you'll be chasing your arrows all over the target and not get any closer to sighting them in.

As far as looking over the glasses and into the sight, just tell him to knock it off. After all, what's he wearing em for if he's not using em?? I know it can be a pain to shoot with glasses, but it's a waste of time if you can't see what you're doing.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Spike

Thank you everyone. We have taken it to a shop and he is doing good with his bow, but I felt my draw length wasn't right at all and I just feel like when we go out shooting we aren't getting anything accomplished. Very frustrating and I have no patience so it makes it hard to just not give up, so we usually stop for a while then go back out. I have told him numerous times, wish we could afford contacts for him.

Another question, are the pins 10, 20, & 30 or 20, 30, & 40?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not starring in a TV bowhunting show yet, but I do have an idea about the pins. You set them for what you want. I do the 20, 30, 40... yard thing, only because I haven't ever been 10 yards from any prey yet. Do what you need. How close are you going to be? My bet is that you will be further than closer.

Most importantly, have fun with it.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Has your boyfriend thought about getting contacts? When I first started to bow hunt, I had glasses and they would fog up. I switched to contacts and it's been good ever since. As far as sighting in your bows, you have to have good shooting form and repeat it every time. You have to make sure that you use the same anchor point. I always have the bow string touching the tip of my nose but you can also use a kisser button. And my knuckles are locked in behind my jaw bone. I use a thumb release and that has improved my shot groups, coupled with a drop away rest. When you release your arrow, don't drop your bow arm until you hear the arrow hit the target. That is very important. Like the people said before, go to a pro shop and get some help. The ones we have around here are crackpots, so I drive an hour away, just so I can get top notch service. I'm very fussy about my bow setup and feel everyone that bow hunts owes it to the game they hunt to make sure they are setup the best they can be. Good luck to you and your boyfriend.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Spike

To Answer your pin yardage question, I would say set them at 20, 30 and 40. My 20 yard pin is what I use at 15 yards, it shoots the same as 20 yards.
When it comes to getting frustrated while shooting and sighting in. I would suggest only shooting a few arrows at a time, then take a break, You will be more accurate. Also make sure your draw length is correct and your draw weight is set so you can comfortably draw your bow without a lot of movement with your bow arm, and make sure your anchor point is consistent. Hope this helps.

Edit. Do what VTBoneCollector says

Last edited by TrapperRob; 08-10-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, didn't read all the posts. As far as the pins go, I have them set at 20, 30, 40, 50. Any deer that you shoot at under 20 yards, you will be fine with your 20 yard pin. I've shot
most of my deer with a bow at under 20 yards. You just have to aim low.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

I set the pins at 20, 30, and 40. You can use the 20 pin for 10 yards, if you have one get that close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.