Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Justifying a bad shot >

Justifying a bad shot

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Justifying a bad shot

Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

The actual show was just as bad,if not worse than the 1st video.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougl
The actual show was just as bad,if not worse than the 1st video.
I deleted my disagreements based on finding that first video...That is just to far back. Basically aiming for the liver.

I do however agree with shooting well behind the shoulder.

To be honest I think what he is suggesting is just about equivalent to suggesting aiming right directly behind the shoulder. Aim dead in the middle of where Perez suggest and the shoulder blade and you have forgiveness both ways.

I can only hope that is what he actually meant and the illustration was a little off as the illustration in the 1st part put the x right on the liver of a quartering to deer and that is crazy.

Last edited by rockport; 08-14-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I watched this video and the subsequent one too. He is NOT advocating a gut shot. What he is saying is to avoid the shoulder by aiming a bit farther back than what you have been taught years ago. Just a couple inches farther back. That way if you torque your bow or for some reason off a bit you will still hit left of your mark (on a left facing deer) you will still double lung it, if you hit right you will hit the liver. Both vital shots with the liver shot you will need more time for the animal to expire. With the same scenario if you aim tight behind the shoulder and hit left of your mark you could imbed your broadhead into the shouder without enough penetration to enter the vitals causing the animal undue suffering. That is all that he is saying. I would never intentionally aim to center of body but midway between center of body and leg crease.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-14-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

The first video was a trailer for the show. He outright stated that he was aiming for liver and that he was not afraid to hit intestines. The graphics in the first video and the show put the green area in the intestines.

I totally agree that it's not a good idea to crowd the shoulder, but that was clearly NOT his intended message. Remember, he said he was gonna shake things up with his revolutionary new look at shot placement. The second video was him backtracking completely, because of the number of people who were calling him out on the garbage he spewed on TV.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Remember, he said he was gonna shake things up with his revolutionary new look at shot placement. The second video was him backtracking completely, because of the number of people who were calling him out on the garbage he spewed on TV.

Correct,there's nothing new and revolutionary about aiming for the middle of the lungs.He's was saying to aim for the liver and if you hit gut's that's ok if you're using a big mechanical.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Spike

He definitely wasn't waiting for the 'quartering away' angle that offers the best opportunity at the vitals. I won't condemn him for his tactics but they aren't ones that I would employ.
He does use the same mechanical broadhead that I do ... Rocket Aeroheads.
But that is where the parallel of our bowhunting ends!