Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lacrosse,wi public land Help! >

Lacrosse,wi public land Help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lacrosse,wi public land Help!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Spike

Default Lacrosse,wi public land Help!

I'm new to the area and am looking for decent public land to hunt any info would be nice thanks alot
Old 04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Spike

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/

Good place to start I think.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Bartender

I agree with this
Originally Posted by kampmanfan4life
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/

Good place to start I think.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I know there's a lot of public land along the Wisconsin River. Not sure how good it is, but it's there.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd pick 5 or 6 spots and put your boots to the ground. I know of some guys that hunt public in that area and they say it gets hunt pretty hard but if you put some time in and scout you can find some good spots. I've heard a canoe or small boat will really help your chances. On a public site like this its going to be hard to get any information. I'd find some local forums, get about a 100 to 200 posts then ask for some information. You'd be surprised once you are a regular on a site what kind of information you will get. There are soooo many people who come on this site with a couple posts and ask for help and spots to hunt. Put your time in, help a few hunters out with your knowledge and then ask for some help. You will be surprised on how much of a difference it makes.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting pressure is very high on both public and private lands in/near LaX. The Hmong population hunt (generally small game) and swarm the woods opening squirrel weekend, many camping for a full week or sometimes more. The wetlands and sloughs are hammered by the duck hunters every weekend once that opens. I'd look at some of the dnr maps and find some areas where the public nears private, especially where farm fields are reasonably close. Due to some of the very active people in the area that use the hiking running trails in these areas, deer aren't always as spooky as in other locations. I'd also look towards the south part of LaX as the population is lower than on the north with the explosions of Onalaska and Holmen.
Good luck, oh, and carry in/carry out and make sure your vehicle and gear is always locked.