Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fenceline Hunting >

Fenceline Hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fenceline Hunting

Old 10-01-2003, 03:07 AM
Spike

Default Fenceline Hunting

I' m hunting an area in southeast Minnesota that consists mainly of fenceline and small patches of woods. I' ve never hunted this type of area before and am open for any suggestions/ideas that anyone has. I' m used to large wooded areas where I find areas where multiple trails converge. These fencelines/small patches are border areas between corn, soybean, and clover fields. I' m worried about disturbing deer in their bedding areas - although, to be honest I don' t know if deer actually bed down in these areas - I' m just guessing. Any ideas as to where to put stands up in these areas and wether morning or night would be better times? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fenceline Hunting

Reminds me of a area I use to hunt in northern Iowa. There must be tracks from where they go in and out of the fields. They often will use these small patches of trees to move from field to field.I usually fine a area with the most track traffic and set up on the edge of the small wood lot,Good luck
Old 10-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

nbadger23, my hunting buddy and I both love hunting fencerows. We have alot of fencerows connecting small woodlots here in NW Ohio. We puet stands in alot of fencerows with great success. The deer really love to use them to travel back and forth and we find a ton of rubs and scrapes along them. One thing we like to do is set the stand up at least 20 yards from the edge of the woods , normally around 30 or 40 depending on a good tree. we do this for 2 reasons. #1. We have found that alot of times the deer may come out of the woods farther down from the corner and angle across to the fencerow instead of skirting the edge down to it. We missed some shot opportunities this way. When you are farther down the fencerow, it doesn' tmatter if they come out at the corner and follow it down or angle across, they will usually end up in front of you. #2. It gives you more time to prepare for the shot rather than them just popping out on you ( early season with leaves still on). I hope you have as good of luck fencerow hunting as we do. If it is like here, you will see alot of deer. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

dont forget about the corners of all the fence rows. Great place to take a buck. They will stand in these corners and look into fields. In corners they have the best view of an entire field. Good luck..

J