Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler calls

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Antler calls

I have a question calling in deer using antlers. I took the antlers off one of my old deer targets, which are made out of plastic. Would this be good to use to call in deer during the rut? If not what would you recommend to use? Thanks for your input!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I would most likely not use them due to the fact they probably sound nothing like real antlers when you hit them together
Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

They are better than nothing. If you have the chance try to get a set of real antlers, they do sound better. There are a lot of options out there, some of them are even a set of plastic antlers. When you are rattling, don't be worried about scaring deer away. Although this may happen, you will get the more aggressive deer to come in if you hit them together loudly. Also rake the brush around you. When you are rattling you are going to have to keep your eyes open. Some of the bucks you call in will come running in and you won't have a lot of time to get to your bow. I hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the specific antlers you have. Some plastic 3D target antlers ARE decent rattling antlers, most are not. Bang them together, see how they sound. If they sound like antlers banging together, then use them. If they sound a pair of 5 yr old kids at the State Fair sword fighting with cheap plastic swords, don't use them.