Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting the swamps! >

Hunting the swamps!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the swamps!

Old 09-23-2003, 07:08 AM

Default Hunting the swamps!

I am going to hunt 2 cyprus swamps early bow season here in Mississippi. Last year I got hammered by mosquitoes, literally ran me out of the woods. This year I purchased a Underbrush Bug suit and a Thermacell. I am going to mount the thermacell on my stand and crank it up when I get situated in the stand. I have read they can take time to work. For those of you that have used a Thermacell in the past what are the pros and cons.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting the swamps!

What is a thermacell?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:56 AM

A themacell is a device roughly the size of a large mobile phone that you insert a butane cartridge. On the front is a grill were a mosquito repellant mat is placed. You iginite the butane by pushing a button on the front of the thermacell to start the grill. The grill heats up the mat which inturn release a chemical that repels mosquitoes in a 225 sq foot radius. The nice thing about it is that it is completely odorless. Each mat last 4 hours, the butane cartridge last 12 hours. I purchased a camo one at Basspro for $24 they come with 1 butane cartridge and 3 mats, refill kits run around $5. Here is the URL http://www.themacell.com
Old 09-23-2003, 07:57 AM

wrong like

http:\\thermacell.com
Old 09-23-2003, 08:24 AM

I just recently bought one and have enjoyed every bit of bowseason while using my thermacell. I love it. I hunt south georgia so the skeeters get pretty rough down here..but when i crank that baby up in no more than 3 or 4 minutes there is not a mosuito within seeing or hearing distance. I' d get one if your having a problem like that.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:00 AM

Love my thermocell. Benefits are its compact, repels mosquitos like magic. They dont even buzz around you. These units are very easy to use. I turn mine on when I leave the truck and keep it on for at least the first 2 hours in stand when the mosquitos are usually at their worse. Drawback is it can get expensive if you use it alot.
Each kit has 3 matts and one butane cartridge for around 6 or 7 dollars per kit.
Each kit lasts about 12 hours,(4 hr. per chemical matt). This unit is also a little less effective in breezy conditions, however, breezy conditions usually keep the mosquitos at bay anyway. My normal use is 2hr in the morning and 2 hr in the evening at the times when the mosquitos are at their worse.