Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 " No Stinkin Bugs"  Earth Scent >

" No Stinkin Bugs" Earth Scent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

" No Stinkin Bugs" Earth Scent

Old 09-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default " No Stinkin Bugs" Earth Scent

Anyone have any luck with the " No stinkin bugs" earth scent for mosquito protection and not getting busted because of the smell?

It does smell like " earth scent" but I can also smell the DEET in it. I dont like to use bug spray but the mosquitos are terrible this year.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: " No Stinkin Bugs" Earth Scent

Yeah it does have a deet oder to it. Almost enough to keep the skeeters off you too.

I did get busted by a big ol' doe durring a crop damage hunt a few weeks ago. She stopped dead in her tracks about 40yds down wind of me and threw her noze in the air. Off she went and I blamed it on that bug spray like any hunter would

I' m looking into buying those camo bug suits. That would solve the problem!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

my friend shot a doe last saturday while wearing the earthscent bug spray. he shot it at 12 yards from the ground. im not sure of the wind direction though.

in maine, the scent did not seem to spook the bears. the unscented is sooooo much more effective though. it is like night and day compared to the earth scent.

Here is the system i use with the bug spray.

1. i spray bug spray on shirt, gloves, and headnet.
2. i let them hang outside for 1/2 hour to an hour.
3. i rub pine branches on them.
4. i have had deer, bear, moose, raccoon, rabbits, and suirrels come in and not one busted me.

this system i started in maine and continue it in new jersey. worked in maine. works just as good in jersey.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Spike

I have used for about a week now and have only seen one deer. Dont know if its the spray or the hot weather. Im going to leave it off tommorow and see if thats the problem. I too have detected the chemical odor, espicially when you first spray it.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing to do with any DEET compound:

Spray on clothing and let dry, preferably the longer the better. I spray on overnight and plan to use the next evening. Depending on the bug population and your hunting area (we all know swamps really stink this time of year before first frost), a good dousing will last anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks.

Before going afield, feel free to spray on as much scent eliminator as needed. I brew my own, I believe it was nub' s recipe, and therefore have more than enough for the season.

I used this system last year and it worked well, the only time I was busted was when four does caught me climbing down the tree in my Viper and I was 3 feet off the ground at a 45 defree angle---they seem to notice someone falling out of the tree, if ya' know what I mean...