Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Busted....Now what?? >

Busted....Now what??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted....Now what??

Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Busted....Now what??

So your on your way in to a morning stand during the rut. Totally dark, an hour before first light. Your within 50 yards of your stand and you hear deer comming so you lie down. They get within 20 yards and bust, run off while blowing. My question is would you guys still head to your stand and hunt it since it is the rut and anything can happen? Would you opt to back out and hit another stand after light? What are your guys thoughts
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I would continue on to that stand and keep hunting. I have been busted like that before and still got my deer that same day. Just my opinion.....
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Spike

Hunt. Its the rut, you never know what will happen. It's not like your hunting deer in a "normal" pattern early in the season. Once the bucks start chasing, there isn't any rhyme or reason to a bucks, or does, pattern. I've had deer blow at me walking in, hear them run away, and then come back 20 minutes later completely oblivious.

I'd be a little more concerned if they made you in the stand after daylight. If its an older doe that sees you, you may have problems. I don't worry about bucks much, they have pretty short memories (unless they're with a doe that makes you).
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Take it or leave it. I am not a deer expert or biologist, but I have found a few techniques after being in the woods a ton and personal experiences.

During the rut when walking in to my stands, that are a little more remote and "louder" to get into, I take my grunt call and about every 5 or so steps give out a light grunt. I have had deer standing 20 yards as I walked past them and not "spook".

Its in their nature to freeze if they cannot identify what is in their area. For the deer in my area, they use sound verification (stomping, the tempo of the walk etc.) along with visual and scent. They are still a naturally curious animal and will undoubtedly remain still until they can identify if there is actually a threat.

I still cant wait for the day I do the grunt technique and come face to face with a buck who is ready to fight. I know one day it will come and I won't be ready!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go on to your stand,settle in and wait for the lights to come on. I had one blow 10 minutes after I got settled in but she had no idea were I was at just caught a little of my sent on a windy day. I had a Buck grunting on a ridge above me 30 minutes after the Doe blew and even though he did not show himself he was not far from me. The wind that day blew my scent where I hoped it would not so it was a hunt cut short but not ruined by the Doe.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with the above. Hunt it.

Deer blow at hunters; yotes; sounds they can't discern; other deer; etc..., etc..., etc.... Did the deer wind you?

I also agree that (at least I think they can) they pick out a predator's cadence. I've been known to pick up a stick and drag it to my stand in the dark or light to mask mine. Does it work? Who knows?

If I've got a good wind....and I'm 50yds from my stand (in the dark), I'm hunting it.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

hunt it.. deer blow at many things, it's normal and i doubt it will steer deer away from that area for very long at all
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info fellas, that is about what I thought. In my case the deer did not smell me, they just got to 20 yards and saw a blob in the cut bean field and got nervous. They did their head bobbin for a few seconds then busted. I think they more or less just didnt know what was going on rather than associating the blob with a human threat.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wi_buckstomper
Thanks for the info fellas, that is about what I thought. In my case the deer did not smell me, they just got to 20 yards and saw a blob in the cut bean field and got nervous. They did their head bobbin for a few seconds then busted. I think they more or less just didnt know what was going on rather than associating the blob with a human threat.
I can't count how many times I have seen guys hunting who get busted by them darn mature Does,they run off making a fuss only to have a Buck come through a short time later and get wacked by the same guys in the same tree. It's a crap shoot it seems to me, so I stay put rather than reinforcing their fears by making my pressence obvious. Good luck next time in.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Great post. I am going to hunt one of my new spots tomorrow morning for the first time versus the typical evening hunts I've done a few times there during early season. It's 28 degrees tomorrow morning according to Weather.com and the rut's starting to kick in here. Only problem is I essentially have to walk about 1/4 to a 1/2mile along the edge of a cut corn field to get to my blind at the pinch point between a bedding area, big woods and two cut corn fields. I was debating about the noise I might make but I figure if I head in an hour before first light and move as fast as I can, I'll just plop down and see what happens. Gotta learn that somehow versus wondering. Good luck guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.