Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 got me a bow this weekend >

got me a bow this weekend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got me a bow this weekend

Old 08-11-2003, 09:32 AM

Default got me a bow this weekend

so i was fiddlin around with it, i also got a few arrows to get the feel for it. however, i' m confused about one thing. on the platform where you would normaly rest the shaft of the arrow when its drawn and ready to shoot, there are these two kinda short wires that sort of look like snake fangs i guess is the best wat to describe them. they come up from an attachment that attaches to the platform where the arrow shaft would rest (if the " fangs" werent there), and paont away from the the shooter out in the direction of the target. it seemes as though the arrow would rest right on top of the " fangs" or in between them. im not sure which...

and a follow up question, if the arrow shaft does rest on top of the " fangs:, it sure as heck does bounce around alot as you draw the string back. the shaft baounces all over the place .......on and off the " fangs" , all over the platform, off my wrist, back on to the platform, back on to my wrist, back onto the fangs.... how the heck are you supposed to be stealthy with all the bouncing going on?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:44 AM

Default RE: got me a bow this weekend

Seen your scenario many times.

Best thing for you to do is to look in your phone book and find a reputable achery shop to fit you correctly to the bow. Proper tuning, arrow spine, and shooting lessons are all aspects which you need to consider.

Ive seen many " wannabe" archers give it up because they couldnt hit nothing or be consistant - it was just their lack of knowledge and training - not their lack of skill.

I started the same way - but 18 years ago.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

eastwood as S.Texas said, you need to find someone to set the bow up for you and also pick out the right kind of arrows to match your set up, from what you are describing this bow is not set up right and you could hurt yourself or someone else and possibly break the bow. Take it to a pro-shop and drop the bucks to get it set up.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 AM

Eastwood, Are you shooting with fingers or a release? It kind of sounds like you are shooting with fingers. If that is the case you should talk to someone who can show you the proper way of drawing the bow to eliminate the arrow jumping off the rest.

Don' t get frustrated just take the time to find someone to show you how to and how not to do certain things.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

hey man u can shoot off the shelf if u want... but those " fangs" ur talkin about are a rest...which if set up right can be quiter than the shelf.... and a lot more accurate... i agree with everyone that u should go find a pro shop and have them set u up...u might even have to fix the rest if the prongs move seprately... good lucky and practice WAY more than u think u need to... if u think ur good... shoot till ur better....etc. good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]