Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bear hunting and moon phases >

bear hunting and moon phases

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bear hunting and moon phases

Old 06-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default bear hunting and moon phases

I just got back from a bear hunt in which I saw a number of small bears but the only large bear came in after shooting light. We were the first ones in camp this year so they should not have been spooked off by other hunters in the area. They take large bears regularly in this camp but I wasn' t that fortunate. I did shoot a young bear the last night but I should have let it go and waited till dark and gone home empty. My thought after getting home was that perhaps the larger bears would move earlier in the day if it was a dark moon. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The outfitter indicated that he felt the first week was the best time to go.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear hunting and moon phases

on the hunts ive been on the full moon is a factor but bottom line bears will be taken during that full phase. personaly i like 3 to 5 days after the full moon. for me sightings increased greatly. another thing to consider is the fact that the big ones are smarter and prefer dark and especially dark timber to feel safe. ive hunted with outfitters that have stand sites out on open timber cuts or roads and i think the bears will wait till it gets dark to move.dont let the fact that you shot a small bear discourage you. they are one of the hardest animals to judge size but as you hunt them more you will get better at it. also keep in mind that the average weight of bears in places like maine are only 150 lbs. i have also hunted in ontario and the average is maybe a little better. another thing you could do when you go with an outfit is to have them bait with a bag up high so it wont get visited by the small bears. also to get a good bear i have read that stand sites should be 5 miles apart from the next guy to get a crack at a big one. nothing like the thrill of the black ghost walking into your sites thats why i keep doing it!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: bear hunting and moon phases

After viewing the video I shot it turns out the bear I shot was probably one of if not the smallest bear I saw, but it was the last night of the hunt and the weather was theatening and I wilted under the pressure I put on myself to shoot a bear. A mistake I should not have made but a lesson learned. Next time I will be better prepared-I hope.