HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   "herd control" hunt in WI (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/306979-herd-control-hunt-wi.html)

Northport buckslayr 10-16-2009 05:23 AM

"herd control" hunt in WI

Is anyone ticked about the "herd control hunt in WI this weekend? For starters my area has about a third of the deer there was five years ago, so there is absolutely no need for more doe harvests. Second I hate losing a weekend of bow hunting so the orange army can clamor into the woods get the deer all pressured. I what the DNR is smokin but we need get rid of some people in Madison and start over!

halfbakedi420 10-16-2009 05:32 AM

they definatly need to control the human population, should we start with bucks or does?

earnabuck 10-16-2009 05:33 AM

At least they moved it up a week, I also have a feeling it isn't taken advantage of nearly as much as the DNR would like, there are so many seasons to shoot does now, why use this one when they know it won't help there chances when they could shoot a buck, at least in my neck of the woods that's how I perceive it. But I am with you, stay with a youth hunt, a bow season and a 9 day gun season and muzzleloader. There is something to be said about a time limit and comradery, it loses that when you can hunt from October-Mid December with a rifle (in CWD)

wis_bow_huntr 10-16-2009 05:37 AM

I am hunting it but thats just becasue the new lease i landed is in one of the zones and isnt going to effect my regular hunting property.. Two different zones and several miles apart. it gives me a chance to get out and give my main property a break from the bow hunting.

cwanty03 10-16-2009 05:53 AM

ticks me right off, just when the bucks are starting to roam and scrape and what not we throw bunch ppl in woods and poof! nocturnal.....

Addictted 10-16-2009 10:57 AM

I don't like it either; least it's not the last weekend of Oct. like it used to be. I'm not hunting and hope no one in the area I hunt is, however I doubt that. All I can say is go to one of the meetings this month where next years season options are being discussed. I will try and make the one in Appleton. Cause if you don't like it now, wait till there’s a possible Muzzleloader season in October either sex. Now that would suck. I'd have to buy a Muzzleloader then and I would rather not.

Northport buckslayr 10-16-2009 12:27 PM

I read about the proposed season next year and it sounds like bowhunters would lose the entire month of October. Between the youth hunt, the herd control hunt, and the proposed muzzleloader season you might as well put your bow away until halloween. I also plan on going to the meeting in Appleton, there is a season proposal from the conservation congress that is a lot more reasonable, it was in this months issue of Wisconsin outdoor news.

blakefrautschi 10-16-2009 12:32 PM

i dislike the hunt, it kinda messes things up.. im just skipping deer hunting this weekend in hopes the deer will run to our land in refuge.

browningbolt 10-16-2009 04:04 PM

Just took a quick drive around the block in our hunting area a eab unit.Looks like alot of pressure on the public lands (cars in all parking areas).But not so much on the private lands.

Damon 10-16-2009 04:32 PM

Chaps my azz, I agree the deer population as a whole has declined, now to throw this in along with the goose hunt (my land is near the Bay) and with a possible Muzzleload season next year.....I feel like an oatmeal/peanut butter (crunchy) turd gettin squeezed out.

I find it hard to believe that a herd population hunt can even be justified, does anyone know how this is based...besides the obvious of selling licenses and making alot of money that doesnt go back to deer management.

Anyone know when the meeting is to take place in Appleton, or if there is one in Green Bay?