Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
PA Opener -No Kill but a great day (pics/vid) >

PA Opener -No Kill but a great day (pics/vid)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Opener -No Kill but a great day (pics/vid)

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Opener -No Kill but a great day (pics/vid)

The opening morning of PA's Archery Season found me 5 feet above my father in law on an acorn bench. We should have been wearing hard hats as the nuts were flying. Other than chipmunks and tree rats, which I was wanting to pay any amount of money for GMMAT's patented laser, we saw nothing. I think that the deer didn't have to look far for the precious nuts and weren't moving. It was a beautiful morning none the less and it got both of us looking forward to the evening sit. This was his first archery sit.

In the afternoon, after stopping at Rob's to fix a buddy's bow that took a fall from 25 feet, my friend Steve and I headed out to my food plot that I have worked so hard on. It was Steve's first attempt at running the camera.

Here is over shot of the plot looking west. It's Antler King Red Zone on the bottom, Turnip Rape on the upper and some oats, that were planted late at the far end.

I tried to steal some luck from Caleb by going all BraveHeart, but it didn't work.

A non filmed encounter, with a doe ended in my arch rivial doe pegging us from behind as I was fixing to shoot a 2.5 year old in the Turnips. After that the rest of the action was in the oats. I should have known, they have been pounding the Red Zone with the sunflowers, buckwheat, and beans. Here is a pic from two weeks ago and one from yesterday.

Here is a video of a few young bucks sparring in the oats. All in all it was a great night. 4 small bucks and 5 or 6 different does.

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...0041849551.flv
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very cool video! Were you hunting near a road? That sounded like traffic. Also, what spooked that deer near the end?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Very cool video! Were you hunting near a road? That sounded like traffic. Also, what spooked that deer near the end?

Ya there's a major road not far in the background. The spooking was one of the other small bucks chasing another doe.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics and video.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool video, sometimes it nice to kick back and watch the show.

Shane
Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like your in a pretty good spot. Good luck!