Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell me about Turkey Broadheads >

Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tell me about Turkey Broadheads

ORIGINAL: slayer_54

i've been shopping for turkey heads and have found im goin with the bullhead. looked at the gobbler getters and did not git much positive feedback. check the reviews on cabelas.com, there was alot of "all i brought home was an arrow with a clump of feathers"

I'm not sure what you were reading on Cabelas. The Gobbler Getter has a 4.2 out of 5 rating on Cabelas. 11 reviews, 2 were negative. 1 claims it bounced off a jake( my guess is it was a bad shot in 1st place). 2nd claimed it dropped 6" compared to his field pts( a obvious bow tuning problem there). The other 9 were good reviews, and all 5's!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

NAP Gobblergetters = turkey bow slam
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

I never heard of the NAP gobblergetter deflecting. I have shot tons of birds with them and at numerous angles with no problem. They will be in my quiver again this fall.
I will Not argue this point, but I have witnessed the ricochet on 2 different shots, and No the shots were not off

Look at the end! It does Not take a genius to figure out on an angled hit they can easily glance.[8D]

I've killed all my Turkeys so far with Slick Tricks and have yet to shoot at a Turkey with them and not get him. That hurts the bad shot theory!

I am considering using a Spitfire XP100 or the New Max Spitfirethis spring for the sharp point, but then again I may use a Grizz Trick. Why mess with success?

Funny thing to me is with the same setup I've killed dozens of Deer and never fail to get a Passthrough I have yet to get a passthrough on a gobbler.I have penetrated the turkey completely, the arrow just stayed in the bird.That's what I'd prefer I just found it odd.

Dan
Old 02-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

MeanV, what I meant in my posts by a bad shot, is one taken at the side of a turkey, and hitting the wing bone. That would effect any shot on a turkey with arrow or pellets. The best bow shots on turkeys are a head on frontal, and from behind. The arrow easily penetrates the vitals w/o hitting the wing bone. So I have no doubts a Gobbler Getter could bounce off a turkey if it hit the wingbone. A side shot with bow leaves a smaller area to hit, you add in a angled shot, and that makes it tougher yet. But pure flesh, NO WAY!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about angled Spine?

Kind of like a ramp!

They are not the only choice for Turkeys. There are several quality broadheads out there that will do the job. IMHO why give up anangled shot because of a poorly designed point, or take a chance it might glance, when it's obvious it can.

I realize these were designed to impede penetration, but there are better ways to accomplish that without putting a round point on the broadhead.

While working a consumer show I onceover heard a CEO of a company tell another cohort that whether something worked or not was not important as long as you marketed it correctly.

I Hope most Bowhunters are smarter than what he gave them credit!

Dan
Old 02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spine shooting a turkey? Why would anyone try for a spine shot?? Isn't that a bad shot!!!!!! This is not a poorly designed broadhead. Many here, and reviews have shown it does the job, and its a well designed broadhead for turkeys. I never said it was the only broadhead to use on turkeys. I even specified the Adder point as another option. There are many options on the market. But I won't downgrade a design when its proven to work becasue someone used it on a low percentage shot to begin with. In fact it'd rather use a head that'd bounce off a turkey if it hit a wing bone or spine, then do unrecoverable damage. Bowhunting any game to me is about taking higher percentage shots with your equipment. You have to use common sense on what your equipments designed for, and capable of doing.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone using the Gobbler Guillotine? I've seen a few shows where they used these...LOL, heads a flyin! Never tried em, just curious of what folks think of them.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I can't shoot a Turkey facing away from me directly in the spine and break him down that's a good enough reason for me to shoot something else[8D]

WV The Guillotine and the Bullheads are great heads I'm sure, and their effectiveness is undisputable, but the accuracy range for me was very short. I tried several different arrow spine, material, and Fletching combinations and I would not trust them much past 15 yards. Inside that range I'd say they would be fine. I just didn't want that limit on myself.

Dan
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Ben i have been debating this also, i think i am going with the rages. One question two or three blade?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am goin with some Spitfires, but the sharp points for sure, as I want them to double as a deer head this fall.